Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Wedding Presents

(9 Posts)
Beccatheboo Sun 17-Jul-11 19:32:17

My SIL is getting married shortly. Guests have been asked to donate towards her honeymoon. Just wondered what amount other people would spend? My BIL is also getting married later in the year!

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 18-Jul-11 10:43:27

Spend what you can afford and make it the same amount for both couples. I tend to think, when it comes to weddings, that you fork out a lot already for outfits and accommodation (if it's a distance away), so the present is just a token.

MorallyBankrupt Mon 18-Jul-11 14:09:30

I would say for a whole day invite £100, for evening only, £50.

cat64 Mon 18-Jul-11 14:14:15

Message withdrawn

notso Mon 18-Jul-11 14:26:07

DH's brothers both got married recently, we gave one £150 and a small personalised present, we gave the other one £50, a small present and I made their wedding cake for nothing.

I would just give what you can afford, don't go without/into debt to look generous.

Gonzo33 Mon 18-Jul-11 15:20:48

Both my BIL and SIL got married within the last year. We do not have that much disposable income so we gave them GBP30 each, sent a bunch of flowers to the bride on the wedding day and sent a telegram (we could not be there).

Beccatheboo Mon 18-Jul-11 19:02:24

Thanks for your replies. Looking through your responses and those from some old threads has made me feel a bit of a meanie! I thought about £50 (full day invite).

It's certainly not cheap to attend a wedding. Had to pay a fair sum for the hen weekend and then have had to kit out four people. Our two children are pageboys and we have bought their outfits so I suppose that's also a contribution.

I'm a bit anti big wedding, I suppose, when people have been together a long time. My husband and I went away on our own abroad and had a party when we came back. Each to their own, though.

I get quite cross when people say they can't afford to get married! It's about making a commitment to each other, isn't it, and not a massive knees-up?

Machin11 Tue 19-Jul-11 14:02:17

Don't feel a meanie, we've been to lots of weddings this year and last, we allow £30 for family (based on a whole day invite) and £20 - £25 for friends, onw whole day invite or not.

I got married 2 years ago and we did the whole contribution to the honeymoon, With exception of DH Parents who gave £2k to the wedding, everyone who attended ranged between £10 and £50, however the majority amount was around £20. What did mean the most to us was everyone sharing our day and I honestly can't remember now who gave what!!! But I do remember them being there which is most important!!

grin

sleeplessinderbyshire Tue 19-Jul-11 22:17:39

I usually think £50-60 for close friends, bit less if less close. In the pre-child days when we had more disposable income I used to gibe £100-150. My BIL gets married this autumn and we'll probably spend £150-200 but we are very very close

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now