Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Where might I find my "Unique Taxpayer reference" (UTR)?

(8 Posts)
HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 16-Jul-11 21:47:03

I need to fill out a tax return as - according to calculations I owe the tax man approx £100

Went online a few weeks ago to find telephone number but there was none - but there was a link to register for self assessment online. Didn't do it at the time as I didn't have all the paperwork I needed to hand.

Just sat down to do it and in order to register it is asking for my unique tax payer reference. Where might I find this? Do I have to ring them for it. I was hoping I would be able to do this tonight so that I can renew my tax credits this week before the deadline....

nojustificationneeded Sat 16-Jul-11 21:52:43

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 16-Jul-11 21:55:50

I have to complete a tax return to (presumably) get a formal calculation of my income (cos it is from multiple sources - although I think I am capable of adding them up myself).

I need my total income to renew tax credits.

I have never had to file a tax return...and not sure what correspondance I would from them which doesn't relate to tax credits (and only has NI number on).

edam Sat 16-Jul-11 21:55:53

It's on the paperwork from HMRC. I always have to dig around to find it. Twice a year, every year, I manage to hide it somewhere so I can't find it next time. And then there's the ruddy password for self-assessment online. It's a wonder I ever manage to pay them any tax at all, tbh.

nojustificationneeded Sat 16-Jul-11 21:56:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

nojustificationneeded Sat 16-Jul-11 21:58:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 16-Jul-11 21:59:32

I'm not self employed. I have just been fortunate to recieve a taxable payment which has not been taxed correctly.

Thanks for the helpline. Will call on Monday.

HauntedLittleLunatic Sat 16-Jul-11 22:00:59

I might have to go with the estimated plan was to use the tax credits renewal to force me to do the self assessment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: