Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can I claim income support if I have no mortgage?

(10 Posts)
needmoremoney Sat 16-Jul-11 21:16:18

I am very lucky to have no motgage as I lost my mum and managed to pay it off with her inheritance. I am a single parent now and not working though trying to, am I entitled to income support even though I have no mortgage or rent to pay my youngest child is 5? Anyone know?

Took Sat 16-Jul-11 21:22:12

Yes.

My mortgage is paid off but I get IS. I'm still poor even with no rent/ mortgage payments. wink

needmoremoney Sat 16-Jul-11 21:25:55

Really? Thanks, yes I will be too, thought I couldn't claim actually. Do u mind me asking how much u get?

nojustificationneeded Sat 16-Jul-11 21:27:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Took Sat 16-Jul-11 21:31:22

I think I get about £30 a week. But if you get ANY amount of IS (even 50p) then you get council tax benefit and you don't have to pay any of it.

Took Sat 16-Jul-11 21:32:40

Sorry, just added the council tax thing on in case you found out you would only get a tiny amount of IS and thought there was no point in claiming it!

needmoremoney Sat 16-Jul-11 21:36:24

oh right, so basically the amount depends on your personal circumstances, thanks :-)

Took Sat 16-Jul-11 21:40:57

There's a site called 'entitled to' and you fill in your details and it lets you see what you can apply for and the amounts you'd get.

But yes, IS depends on your circumstances. But if you're poor like me you should get it. wink

needmoremoney Sun 17-Jul-11 08:04:30

Hey great site, yep told me everything entiltled to, thanks so much Took x

surfinNSA Tue 19-Jul-11 12:17:43

When did you receive the inheritance? If you paid off your mortgage when you didn't really need to, it could be regarded as 'deprivation of capital' and the DWP will regard you as still having the money even though you have spent it. There are quite complicated rules around deprivation of capital so you will only really know how the DWP will treat it once you apply and they ask for information about your inheritance and how you spent it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now