Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do you get less help as a single mum with a mortgage?

(59 Posts)
pennylee Thu 14-Jul-11 20:58:08

I am just about to take on a mortgage which will be cheaper monthly than paying rent. I have no idea what help I will get and after going from site to site with endless benefits calculators, I'm still non the wiser. So far I understand I'll get maternity pay (£126) and Child Benefit (£20) my mortgage will be £160 (this is obviously all per week) This is without food and bills. Do I need to withdraw my application fast? I'm white as a sheet with stress. (19 weeks pregnant and now single)

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 20:58:52

what help were you thinking of?

justaboutWILLfinishherthesis Thu 14-Jul-11 21:00:15

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

lachesis Thu 14-Jul-11 21:00:45

You won't get housing benefit, if that's what you mean.

michglas Thu 14-Jul-11 21:01:06

Benefits people don't pay your mortgage or council tax for you or help you with it, whereas if you rent they do. When DH got sacked years ago when I was pregnant with DD2 and i earned buttons at the time. I got told we wouldn't get any help as we owned our own house, we had to be in mortgage arrears for 9 months before they would step in.

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 21:05:42

if your boiler breaks,pipes freeze,roof leaks etc,then your LL will be liable....if you rent a house off the bank (mortgage),then nyou will need to have the income to pay yourself!

you will get WTC too wont you

DorisIsAPinkDragon Thu 14-Jul-11 21:23:39

after 9 months they will step in and cover your mortgage (up to the level of HB you would recieve.

Dsis managed to survive for the 9 months (just!!) and now has the insterest on her mortgage paid. They don't pay down capital (although she is managing her ex maintence to pay down the figure slightly on a low interest deal).

tbh I think it will be a challenge intially but then once you get your life back on track it may be workable... (I imagine you don't have any cash left in the bank to cover 9 months mortgage payments..)

pennylee Thu 14-Jul-11 21:25:42

oh dear, you'd think they would not want to keep people renting!
I'm really nervous now.

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 21:31:41

have you got the mortgage deposit,fee's etc all ready now?

Meglet Thu 14-Jul-11 21:36:37

You don't get HB with a mortgage. And when the house needs maintenance the £££ rack up.

I have to work as I would never get housing benefit. As much as I hate having to work with small children it's better than being homeless and things should be easier when they're older.

But if you can do it then at least you will be able to sit tight in your own home.

pennylee Thu 14-Jul-11 21:39:22

I have a 10% deposit nd the legal fees. I'm ready to buy for me and my baby but why should i buy if I can rent and get it all paid and my money can just quietly collect interest in the bank? Sounds silly!

BitsyVonMuffling Thu 14-Jul-11 21:41:45

Is that really your attitude? If you have money to pay for a house then you most likely won't qualify for housing benefit anyway.

26minutes Thu 14-Jul-11 21:42:16

I had to sell my house when I split with my ex. Mortgage of £450 a month but as you don't ge HB on a mortgage I had to sell and move to rented and pay £750 a month to get HB. That mortgage would now be less than £100 with the interest rates being what they are.

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 21:45:04

you wont get itall paid anyway. you get maternity pay,so have a job to go back to?

lovecorrie Thu 14-Jul-11 21:45:55

Totally agree with the OP, why bother struggling and paying taxes and trying to 'better yourselves' when you get sod all help if things go pear shaped work wise. We have been in a dire situation where I lost my job as the primary earner, dh works p/t and not only do I get no JSA they laughed at me when i asked about mortgage relief for a few months. If we were renting we would have got Hb, CT and god knows what else <really pissed off with the 'system>

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 21:47:21

but op has considerable amount of savings......this would be saved for what? a rainyday?

whilst taxpayers pay her rent?

pennylee Thu 14-Jul-11 21:47:44

The only attitude is this - I want to avoide being on benefits and I am killing myself at work to save as much as I can to buy a really cheap flat. I believe I am over stretching myself. I don't want to be on benefits which is why I am trying to establish how much help I would get towards living costs while I am temporarily on maternity leave. I am trying to do the right thing here!

GypsyMoth Thu 14-Jul-11 21:49:35

so where are you living now?

lovecorrie Thu 14-Jul-11 21:50:34

so...you are allowed up to £16,000 savings before HB is reduced. Where's the difference?

pennylee Thu 14-Jul-11 21:51:14

'Her' rent? I am here you know and I have never claimed any benefits in my life.

lovecorrie Thu 14-Jul-11 21:53:26

Hi penny smile Nor had we - all we wanted was a tiny bit of help after paying in for years...sadly, that was the problem - paying in and working hard sad Counts for nothing.

NonnoMum Thu 14-Jul-11 21:55:05

I think you need to get financial advice. A mortgage is a long term commitment (25 years?) and your Maternity pay isn't going to last that long, is it?

I think you are confusing short term needs with longer term ones.

Sorry to be patronising but, really, why is maternity pay even being factored in here?

catsareevil Thu 14-Jul-11 21:56:28

What are property prices doing in your area? Regardless or the benefits issue, if prices arent going up, might it be better to hold off on buying until you are back at work after the baby is born?

Meglet Thu 14-Jul-11 21:57:44

If you can buy without financially crippling yourself then do it. You won't be turfed out by a landlord every 6 months and in 30 years or so you won't be paying a mortgage. In 30 years or so you won't be paying it anymore, whereas with renting you are forever shelling out.

Maybe wait until you go back to work though? I can't imagine house prices rocketing in the next year.

pennylee Thu 14-Jul-11 21:58:11

Sounds like I need to rent until I go back to work (after maternity leave) and then I'll be financially secure to pay for a mortgage. This sucks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now