Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits and extra work

(2 Posts)
pixiepixel3 Tue 12-Jul-11 17:35:44

Because I have a very low paid job I get tax credits to top up earnings. Recently I have been approached by other mums to tutor their DC in maths (my degree) mostly late primary or early secondary, and have done a couple already. But they are paying me ad hoc and I wondered if I can continue doing this if I get tax credits. I am not exactly 'self employed' as it is ad hoc money from friends or friends of friends, but money none the less.


CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 12-Jul-11 20:39:44

If what you're doing is the equivalent of a little casual babysitting with sums, then I would say you don't need to declare it. But if it were to become a more regular thing you should really register yourself as self-employed & declare it as earned income. Tax credits work on bands of income so you might find you can earn more than you currently do without it affecting your award as much as you think.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: