We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Does anyone on here know how credit rating works

(6 Posts)
bumpsoon Mon 11-Jul-11 18:40:33

I have got myself in a bit of a pickle financially ,all of my own doing , before i fess up to DH , can you reassure me that my poor choices will not affect his credit rating ? We are tenants , none of my pickle is in his name ,we have no joint bank accounts etc . I have been told that it is now scored on an individual basis ,and not on the house as in the past ?

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 21:26:13

I'm not sure exactly how the 'shared address' part works at the moment. What you can always do is sign up to one of the credit check services and take a look. They ask for payment details but, if you cancel your subscription before they take the money, you can get your credit check for free. If his details appeared on the credit check then he might be affected.

HumanBehaviour Tue 12-Jul-11 07:42:53

My credit rating is not linked to my husbands in anyway, we have been married for five years and been living together for 7.

We have no joint accounts nor a mortgage.

MorallyBankrupt Tue 12-Jul-11 12:42:32

When I signed up for creditexpert it came up with 'associated people' and DH was listed on that.

I was pissed off as his credit rating is lower than mine so dragged me down!

tulippa Wed 13-Jul-11 09:51:12

You need to give permission for anyone to do a credit check so if your dh applies for credit they won't know anything about you if you haven't applied as well.

Any joint loans/mortgages etc would affect you both equally if one of you stopped contributing their share and payments were missed.

HTH

Anifrangapani Sun 24-Jul-11 09:37:11

The law may have changed since I was a credit underwriter, but if 2 people were living together / married it was assumed that there was a financial link and therefore would effect his credit rating. Both Equifax and Experian would display the credit history of all the debt listed to an addresss. It was up to the underwriter to make a decision based on all the information given. However no 2 companies will have the same credit scoring system as it depends on their business assumptions and the customers they want to attract.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now