Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Stuck in contracts - advise needed!

(3 Posts)
mrsSOAK Mon 11-Jul-11 13:04:06

Hello
we are having to have a major re-calculate of our finances due to changes in our circumstances and i am looking at decreasing our outgoings.
We currently have line rental through BT and broadband through someone else, I have a contract mobile and husband has payg.
There are somethings that can't change (gas & electric provider, council tax, rent, water bills) but I had hoped we could do something with the other things.
I have spoken to my mobile provider if I am to cancel my contract it would cost me over £170. I can move to a lower package (which I have done)
I have spoken to ISP and it would cost over £170 to cancel that. I can do a package deal with them which would make me better off - a little but I am waiting to see how much BT are going to fleece me for cancelling with them.
Does anyone have any advice they can offer about how to get around these charges? Or any advise on making changes that will be less expensive or just general advise on how not to spend money!
TIA xx

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 13:42:44

Best advice is to understand the extent of any contract. With BT, for example, they like to sign people up for 12 or 18 months at a time. If you know when your contract comes to an end you can switch without penalty. But they tend to keep quiet about it unless you ask. In the meantime, opting for a lower tarrif is probably the cheapest option.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 13:43:43

'tariff'.. I meant blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now