Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Had an offer on my house...ooh what to do

(11 Posts)
honeytoast Sun 10-Jul-11 19:16:34

My property has been reduced to £170000 had an offer of £160000 ooh what would you do, advice please

imadgeine Sun 10-Jul-11 21:41:54

Your estate agent should be checking the financial status of the person who has made the offer e.g. do they have house to sell? Have they got mortgage lined up? Remember that it is important to get a buyer who can follow through and not one that lets you down in 2 or 3 months time.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 10-Jul-11 22:02:24

Also... can you afford to sell for that low? Are you in a rush to get out or might waiting a little longer get you nearer your (reduced) asking price?

vickibee Mon 11-Jul-11 07:04:15

offers are hard to come by in this market and yo could be waiting aged if you turn it down. Can you haggle the house you want to buy and get a similar reduction. It is all relative

lukewarmmama Mon 11-Jul-11 07:28:20

You need to work out what you need to sell it for, and how quickly. Then you know whether you're in a position to haggle, or take the money and run.

Nb if it's these buyer's first offer to you, they will more than likely have a slightly higher figure in mind. Ask the advice if your agent - it's what they are there fir.

lukewarmmama Mon 11-Jul-11 07:29:19

for, not fir. That would be odd.

honeytoast Mon 11-Jul-11 10:49:29

I need to sell as part of my divorce as my ex husband wont take his name off the mortgage to cut a long story short.

Anyway the person has withdrew his offer this morning, so am now really upset.

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 11-Jul-11 11:20:06

Hate time-wasters. Bad luck. But if one person wanted it, someone else will. What are your estate agents doing to positively encourage a sale? Have they organised a viewing day or put some other marketing welly behind it? Take your frustration out on them.... it feels good and it might just work smile

imadgeine Mon 11-Jul-11 17:30:45

Difficult for you.
I assume you have talked through your plan to sell with your solicitor? You sure it is in your best interests?

honeytoast Mon 11-Jul-11 19:41:37

Yes have talked it through with my solicitor and seeing as ex wont remove his name even though the judge has strongly advised him to as he isn't entitled to any profit that I recieve out of the property. I just want to cut all ties with him especially now that the boys are now older.

Had a viewing day and then had this alleged cash buyer then all or a sudden he hasnt got the cash, so mad

Gonzo33 Tue 12-Jul-11 06:00:44

FGS what is the matter with people. Do they not realise that house selling/buying is stressful enough as it is without adding to it.

I hope that you sell soon - having been in a similar situation to you I can imagine how stressful it must be at the moment.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: