Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can anyone help me work out what I may be entitled to?

(4 Posts)
Pipbin Fri 08-Jul-11 21:41:23

So, here is the problem, due to stupid problems at my work I have been on a string of temporary contracts. At the moment I have a contract up until next April.

I am the main breadwinner in our household so ideally I would go back to work as soon as possible with my husband going part time.
The issue is that that would only work if I have a full time contract and therefore maternity leave.
The other problem is that I am not getting any younger and if I don't even start trying for a baby soon then I will go potty. I am 36 and simply cannot wait any longer.

So what I am asking you lot is: What maternity leave would I be entitled to if my contract ended while I was pregnant?
Also, if I had no job at all, what would we be entitled to?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 09-Jul-11 07:15:45

Maternity leave entitlement is often variable and something you can negotiate with your employer. This link explains the statutory details more fully. I think the crucial sentence for someone on temporary contracts would be this one

(You must be) employed by the same employer continuously for at least 26 weeks into the 15th week before the week your baby is due (the qualifying week)

If you had no job at all but your partner was bringing an income into the household then you'd need to run a 'what if' through a Benefit Checker such as the one linked.

The main thing to do, of course, is to save like crazy while you're working. Downsize, trim your budget, whatever it takes. Because babies are expensive, full stop.

LadyLapsang Sat 09-Jul-11 11:20:19

Hi, I believe the law is about to change on this as I received an email earlier this week explaining the changes. However, after a quick look I deleted it as we got rid of all contractors / temp staff and only take staff on proper permanent contracts or not at all.

RandomMess Sat 09-Jul-11 11:24:36

You will get maternity allowance regardless, not much I know.

With my eldest dd i had to be actively seeking work from when she was 6 weeks old and started working part time from when she was 9 weeks old and tbh we just got on with it and was fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now