Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credit Possible Prob - Urgent Advice Pls!

(8 Posts)
imogengladheart Fri 08-Jul-11 18:58:07

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HappyMummyOfOne Fri 08-Jul-11 19:48:20

You cant claim WTC after x weeks off being off sick from work. How long have you been off?

UniS Fri 08-Jul-11 19:51:09

IIRC the key thing about being self employed is paying your national insurance. If you pay that at the same level as someone working full-time and earning you are considered to be working self employed. If you are on a low earnings exemption the situation will be different.

imogengladheart Fri 08-Jul-11 21:37:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

UniS Sat 09-Jul-11 21:17:20

Have you tried phoneing tax office help line - NOT tax credit helpline. laying your situation on teh line and asking for help understanding the tax situation.

Dilligaf81 Sat 09-Jul-11 23:23:16

After I confirmed mine and DH income I got a letter stating that our P60's show other amounts. I called the investiagting unit and they said that my P60 only shows income but as Id been on Mat leave I had declared correctly and that DH's was also correct but I had dedi=ucted the oayments to his private pension (also within the rules).

What Im trying to say is they have access to certian information but it doesnt tell them the whole story.

As it turned out in my case 3 days after hte phone call I got £600 paid into my account they owed me which was a lovely suprise.

HappyMummyOfOne Sun 10-Jul-11 10:01:35

The HMRC site says -

You're self-employed

If you are doing self-employed work you'll be able to keep claiming Working Tax Credit for the first 28 weeks that you're off work, as long as:

you were only doing self-employed work in the week immediately before your illness began
your usual working hours are at least 16 or 30 (depending on your circumstances)
you worked these hours immediately before going off work
you receive one of the specific sickness or disability benefits above - or would have, but you don’t qualify because you're self-employed

DaisySteiner Sun 10-Jul-11 12:52:00

Does your dh work more than 30 hours? If so then you won't be getting any extra working tax credit by declaring yourself self-employed, therefore there shouldn't be any problem even if you're now not technically allowed to state that you're working.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: