Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How do I go about putting a charge over a property?

(3 Posts)
shaz40 Tue 05-Jul-11 11:59:44

Hi - My ex still owes me 10k from our divorce. He's told me to put a charge over the property - I've spoken to a solicitor but it's going to cost me about £350. Would it be cheaper to get the old consent order changed directly with the courts or do I need a solicitor? The old consent order stated that he has to pay me half the equity when he sells or when he wants to. He paid some of it but as I said still owes me 10k. Hope someone can help as It's driving me nuts - lol

Gonzo33 Tue 05-Jul-11 13:27:32

try speaking to Land Registry. www.landreg.gov.uk/enquiries They are really helpful and will tell you all you need to know.

I asked recently about a relative removing a charge on my property and they did advise that the best option would be for a solicitor to do it on their behalf as there is a lot of paperwork involved, and it can be quite technical. Might be easier the other way round though.

Gonzo33 Tue 05-Jul-11 13:27:34

try speaking to Land Registry. www.landreg.gov.uk/enquiries They are really helpful and will tell you all you need to know.

I asked recently about a relative removing a charge on my property and they did advise that the best option would be for a solicitor to do it on their behalf as there is a lot of paperwork involved, and it can be quite technical. Might be easier the other way round though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now