Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Resignation and Tax Credits

(4 Posts)
Louise3812 Mon 04-Jul-11 20:52:30

My partner has copme in from work tonight and told me he has resigned. He has been threatening to do this for a while because of problems with his boss but I didn't think he would actually do it. We currently get about £16 per week tax credits (I work 30 hours per week) Does anyone know if I can apply for this to be increased because of my drop in income. I am really worried especially as it is nearly the summer holidays.

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 05-Jul-11 05:50:40

If it's only been one day it might be a little premature to contact the Tax Credit people. The responsibility really is on your partner to get himself a new job. If there's nothing after three or four weeks then you can legitimately contact them to say that your circumstances have changed.

MollysChamber Tue 05-Jul-11 06:32:07

Yes they will adjust your payments if your circumstances change. Presumably your partner feels that he will be able to find another job fairly quickly......

howabout Tue 05-Jul-11 06:34:29

To the best of my knowledge and belief, tax credits are not like income support benefits where you have to wait a certain time before you can claim after resignation. Also as you work 30 hours the combined drop in hours will make no difference to your entitlement. If you are worried about short term cashflow then I would call them straight away to report a change in circumstances.
My only word of caution would be that the more changes throughout the year the harder it is to keep track of the paperwork and the accuracy of the payments. If your DP gets a new job quickly then be aware that you may have a potential overpayment to sort out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now