Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Local Housing Allowance - bedrooms

(4 Posts)
HumanBehaviour Thu 30-Jun-11 13:16:07

First of all, I am looking for employment and my husband is in full time employment. We are not receiving benefits for the joy of it.

So, we are renting a two bedroom property and are receiving housing benefit. We have to DSs, DS1 is five and DS2 is nearly one. We have been offered to rent a three bedroom house for not much more than we are paying for this tiny two bed house (which is full of damp, mould and slugs indoors).

According to the local housing allowance bedroom calculator we can get housing benefit for a two bed house. Does this mean that we will keep receiving housing benefit but at the two bed rate or will we not receive anything at all if we move into a three bed house?

LawrieMarlow Thu 30-Jun-11 13:18:10

You will keep getting rhe amount for rhe two bedroom house. I privately rent a three bedroom house but am entitled to the two bedroom rate so make up the difference.

HumanBehaviour Thu 30-Jun-11 13:19:55

That's great, thanks Lawrie!

whyme2 Thu 30-Jun-11 13:19:56

Lawrie is correct. We are in a 4 bed but only receive hb based on their calculation for a 3 bed house.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: