Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Debt Collecting letters coming to my house

(13 Posts)
SuePurblybilt Wed 29-Jun-11 11:48:14

for the previous tenant. She moved out nearly 18 months ago. I know they are debt collecting letters as I opened one by mistake months ago and they all have the same return address/envelopes. I must get two or three a month at least (since I started noticing them after opening that one last year). I have been forwarding them to her new address but they don't stop. So for the last few months I have been returning them to sender (address on back) and writing on the envelope 'not at this address, please amend your records'.

Clearly this is not happening. But I can't contact the company directly without opening a letter again which I don't want to do. I'm worried about it affecting my credit rating long-term or even wondering if baliffs will turn up looking for her. Any suggestions?

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 29-Jun-11 12:05:23

I think if 18 months have gone by and the letters are still coming despite you sending them back to the sender then you're entitled to start opening them and telephoning the company (ies). Give them the previous tenant's new address and tell them to stop bothering you.

SuePurblybilt Wed 29-Jun-11 12:07:26

Am I? I thought it was illegal and they'd try to catch me out on the phone <paranoid much> grin.
I could pretend I'd opened it by accident (it truly was the first time).

Elsaz Wed 29-Jun-11 12:07:58

Just bin them. I have had the same. You are not responsible for this person's debt and it won't affect your credit rating.

SuePurblybilt Wed 29-Jun-11 12:08:58

Xposted, sorry Elsaz. Did they (baliff type people) ever turn up at your house? Does that even happen?

Elsaz Wed 29-Jun-11 12:11:16

Nope they just sent letters, lots of letters. One time we had a notice (not in an envelope) through the door that said a bailiff had visited. I just binned that too.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 29-Jun-11 12:50:10

I'm sorry but I think 'ignore it' is bad advice. It's true that you're not responsible for the previous tenant's debt but why keep being bothered by debt collectors if a simply phone-call would stop them completely? It's only illegal to open mail sent for someone else if you have malicious intent. Your reason for opening it is totally justifiable.

SuePurblybilt Wed 29-Jun-11 12:59:05

Right so, next one that comes (two yesterday so I will expect another in about a week), I'm opening it and ringing them.
Thanks both smile

supadupapupascupa Wed 29-Jun-11 13:07:37

and part of your credit rating is at the address isn't it? I would check it and make sure you are not being affected by this person. If you find you are, just ask the credit agency to correct their records....

McPie Wed 29-Jun-11 15:21:51

We still get letters for the ex wife of the guy we bought our house from, he was my neighbour so I know they had split for at least 4 years before we rented from him to start then bought the house. We have been here since january 1999 and her debt has obviously been sold on again as the letters have started back, cant see them getting hold of her mind you as the last I heard was she moved to Canada. I would say open it and call them as thats what Im gonna do if they send another one.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 29-Jun-11 15:35:42

AfterI bought the house I currently live in I discovered (and they don't tell you this at the estate agent viewing stage) that the previous owner had been running some very dodgy businesses from home & owed a lot of money to a lot of people - some of whom rang up and were very aggressive, and one of whom came round in person! When I gave his forwarding address he called me to complain... shock.. saying the reason he moved was so people couldn't find him! (It wasn't the best start in a new home...)

Fizzylemonade Fri 01-Jul-11 18:39:57

Ring the company and be prepared to prove that you are not the person they are after. Some companies are hard to persuade grin

It is very easy to scan and email copies of solicitors letters confirming the sale of the house to you and/or tenancy agreement.

But yes, open the letters and get them stopped.

StuckInTheMiddleWithYou Fri 01-Jul-11 18:43:47

Write "UNKNOWN AT THE ADDRESS" on them all and put into post box - unopened.

Do not contact the companies. Just don't. They'll never leave you alone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now