Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benefits - Please Help

(7 Posts)
anniestar Sat 25-Jun-11 13:43:13

In a bit of a mess. DH left for OW 3 months ago. I'm moving out of our home as it is soon to be sold. I receive Incapacity benefit as I have MS. I have been offered a private rental property from a friend of the family. Would I be entiltled to any other benefits? Housing benefit, council tax benefit, income support? I'm worried sick about this as I can't afford to live/pay bills/rent on my IB alone. No DC's sad

gallicgirl Sat 25-Jun-11 13:51:35

You should get housing and council tax benefit provided you don't have capital of over £16000.
If you have money from the sale of a house which is intended for the purchase of another house, this can be disregarded for 52 weeks I think.

I would advise you to call your local council who can tell you how much help you will get towards rent and council tax. You probably won't get it all paid unless your incap is topped up with income support.

Have you tried applying for DLA as this will increase benefits you are entitled to?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 25-Jun-11 14:10:21

Try putting your details into this Benefits Checker as a starting point. It should then itemise which benefits you may be entitled to and links to where you can make claims. Ask a friend to help you, perhaps, if you're stressed about it. Good luck

anniestar Sat 25-Jun-11 14:27:11

Thank you so much. I've just done the benefits checker. It says I will be entitled to some income support, some housing benefit and full council tax benefit. I hope that is correct. Another benefits checker said I wasn't entiltled to income support and I read somewhere that you can't get it if your receiving incapacity benefit. I tried for DLA a couple of years ago but was turned down. I will try again. Thank you again for your advice. I'm in bits with the whole situation.

CogitoErgoSometimes Sat 25-Jun-11 15:30:08

Apply for all the benefits shown because once you are in 'the system' as it were, that can often prompt other forms to come your way. I know how difficult it is when you're left high and dry by an ex... bad enough dealing with the emotional stress of a break-up without adding financial stress on top. But if you get the ball rolling & explain your situation you can find there's a lot of help available and people are very kind.

OpinionatedPlusSprogs Sun 26-Jun-11 16:09:43

Perhaps the CAB can help with the DLA form. Make sure you present your needs so that you meet the criteria.

Bella2010star Sun 26-Jun-11 22:16:03

Thanks for this I am looking into whether I can recieve anything. I just presumed that because both myself and my husband work that I can not get anything but according to my mother in law I am entitled to help with dentist and eye check ups? Do not know but looking into it as money is a bit tight since I had my daughter I have gone PT and it is surprising how difficult things can get. I hope that your situation improves and you find the support you are entitled to.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: