Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

not bothering with jsa

(14 Posts)
peepoor Fri 24-Jun-11 11:41:34

dh does not get jsa due to my earnings, which are not high. we get working tax credits now, get roughly the same benefits as when he got jsa, for 6 months.
however he has not been signing on lately. he got a job which was only temporary, i rung to tell themm, but they then wrote to say he wont be getting jsa because he didnt sign on! i told them he wasnt signing on and why, and the jsa was stopped anyway.
can they make him sign on. obviously he is looking for work but this seems a waste of time, for what, his ni contributions. well he probably has enough anyway. due to being 58.

HarrietJones Fri 24-Jun-11 11:54:44

Dh didn't get JS when he was unemployed. Neither did I when I was. They may assume you do for TC purposes though

peepoor Fri 24-Jun-11 12:08:05

its the actual physical signing on.
what is the point?

peepoor Fri 24-Jun-11 19:58:30

bump

vj32 Sat 25-Jun-11 09:54:10

Why do they have to sign on? To weed out those who can't be arsed to turn up I think.

I don't really understand your first post though. Why would he be signing on if he isn't entitled to JSA? Is he going to stay 'officially' unemployed?

peepoor Sat 25-Jun-11 12:25:44

you only get jsa for 6 months,
he is obviously job seeking but there is not a lot they do, apart from let him use their computers, and he has same access to the jobs online that they do

peepoor Sat 25-Jun-11 12:26:44

so i believe signing on only keeps up your NI contributions.

peepoor Sat 25-Jun-11 12:32:03

i spose my title shoudl really have been Not bothering with Signing On

dwpanxt Sat 25-Jun-11 12:43:08

The letters are sent automatically for your records.

You dont have to sign at all. No-ones business what you do.

Some people continue to sign for national insurance payments only to protect their pension or for payment protection insurance.

peepoor Sat 25-Jun-11 12:45:05

oh thanks dwpanxt. at his age it hardley seems worth it, would you agree?

we do get benefits, tc, wtc and hb.
would they be affected?

OrangeHat Sat 25-Jun-11 12:51:15

I wouldn't bother in his position.

He could call his NI office and they will be able to tell him whether he has accrued enough NI for full state pension and if not what to do about it.

peepoor Sat 25-Jun-11 12:53:03

thanks i will suggest that.

OrangeHat Sat 25-Jun-11 12:54:39

here is some information about NI, including a helpline to call to find out if have paid enough. I think it would be a good idea to have a chat with them.

peepoor Sat 25-Jun-11 12:55:17

thanks that is great smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: