Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Greek crisis.... should I get euros now for my holiday, or wait a month?

(7 Posts)
PositiveAttitude Tue 21-Jun-11 18:46:24

All you wise and wonderful geeks Mners please can anyone advise me what I should do.

We are going on holiday to Greece, Kefalonia, at the end of July and I am wondering if I should get euros now, or later? If I get them now, what happens if the euro crashes totally? Is this likely to happen in the next few weeks?

Is everything going to be really expensive there, too? 5 years ago it was "cheap as chips" there, last year it was loads more and more on a par with here for eating out, etc.

Last year we were in Athens when all the riots and strikes were going on, I think us and Greece are just a bad mix, really! hmm

Hoping someone can advise. Many thanks. smile

Gonzo33 Tue 21-Jun-11 19:14:42

I doubt that Greece will have a massive effect on the exchange rate if I am honest. I have been living in Europe with people on the UK net for some time and when we bailed them out the first time it didn't make much difference to the exchange. It was as bad then as it is now!

In relation to the cost of things, again, I don't think it would have changed much since last year. That is more in relation to importation costs.

IMO the main issue was when the countries went over to the euro initially, the collapse of the banks was just a double whammy.

PositiveAttitude Tue 21-Jun-11 22:39:50

Thank you Gonzo. I wont panic then!! grin

Gonzo33 Wed 22-Jun-11 05:00:14

P_A - No panicking required grin Have a great holiday

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 22-Jun-11 07:09:24

I have a Euro prepay card because I travel quite a lot around various Euro countries. Mine's Fairfx but there are a few others. Recommend them as you normally get a better exchange rate than you do when using a sterling credit card overseas. Can be used for cash withdrawals, plus they can be topped up last minute via mobile phone or internet so you're not hunting about for banks to exchange cash. Exchange rate has been pretty stable for some time. That's one of the greeks' problems - they can't devalue their currency unilaterally.

Gonzo33 Wed 22-Jun-11 12:34:11

They are a great idea

PositiveAttitude Wed 22-Jun-11 16:53:49

Thanks CES, I will look into this.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now