Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Mis-sold Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) - Has anyone succesfully claimed it back?

(10 Posts)
Phoenix Sun 19-Jun-11 21:35:22

We are waiting for Northern Rock to get back to us about our claim. They have 8 weeks to contact us from when they recieved our letter.

Has anyone succesfully got some money back or indeed had their claim knocked back?

How were you mis-sold PPI?

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 19-Jun-11 22:18:47

I've never had PPI to be missold it fortunately, but I put a colleague onto the set letters on moneysavingexpert.com and both her husband and daughter have had their claims approved within the last 2 weeks.

BettyTurnip Sun 19-Jun-11 22:26:02

Yes, I helped my mother claim it back....mis-sold on the grounds that, as a pensioner in receipt of state pension, her income was always going to remain the same and would not be affected by redundancy, unemployment or illness. Claim was successful.

Morph2 Sun 19-Jun-11 22:33:49

we didn't put in a claim as such but wrote and complained and they have come back to us offering to refund, we had to sign a letter back agreeing to this which i sent back two weeks ago, haven't received anything yet but hopefully will soon. BTW replies to my letters took a lot more than 8 weeks, although i never chased them up so perhaps they would have been quicker if i had.

In our case (this is what happens when you leave things to your DP to sort out!!) we were paying for two PPI on the same mortgage. We extended our mortgage a few years ago by £15k and the advisior at the time asked DP if we had PPI, he said he didn't know so they advised him to take it out 'to be on the safe side'. So we were paying two premiums, one on the original mortgage, and one on the original mortgage plus £15k.

DP pays mortgage and premium out of his bank so it was about 3 years later when i was on maternity leave i happened to look at his bank statement and question what the two premiums were.

xiaojwww Mon 20-Jun-11 02:51:10

Message deleted

Phoenix Mon 20-Jun-11 09:15:29

Thank you for the replies.

We were told they wouldn't give us the loan unless we took the PPI. We have had loans, car finance, credit cards before and never had PPI so didn't want to that time but we had to if we wanted the money.

I'm trying hard not to get my hopes up about getting some money back. The summer 2012 holiday brochures keep calling out to me though grin

CogitoErgoSometimes Mon 20-Jun-11 10:20:40

I would be optimistic if I were you. If the PPI was sold as a prerequisite to getting the loan then it has definitely been missold. Because of the volume of claims and anxiety about yet more bad PR I think you'll find the default setting for the banks is to settle quickly rather than drag their heels. They've all set aside enormous amounts of cash for the purpose.

Phoenix Mon 20-Jun-11 19:57:01

Little bump smile

MovingAndScared Mon 20-Jun-11 20:03:29

Yes we did - also used the letters on moneysavingexpert - and then took it further - it was a while ago -well worth it!
have a look the forums on moneysaving expert they might be able to tell you how quickly northern rock are responding

Phoenix Mon 20-Jun-11 20:05:57

Oh thanks didn't think of reading the threads on there. I got the letter from there smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now