Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax Credit compliance - bank statements

(4 Posts)
minnowpea Sun 19-Jun-11 15:49:34

Hi all,

I've received a tax credits compliance letter asking for childcare contracts and receipts (don't have those but sure I can get them from my very expensive childcare provider!).

The bit that's got me is the requirement for bank statements going back over a year! Does anyone know exactly why these are required?? I don't mind them seeing evidence of my wages, but I consider the rest of the information in my bank statements really personal.

Maybe this is silly, but I wonder if they can see I've been able to afford to go on holiday last year (first in 3 years), save a bit of money (as is wise), and go out to dinner probably a few more times than Martin considers wise, will they say I don't need tax credits!!??

Also, I have £70 per week maintenance from my ex partner which I don't think I have to declare but I feel like my entire life will be completely scrutinised! Can I block out personal outgoings I don't want them to see (sufficient to leave the amount, but not what it was for..nothing juicy, I just really don't like the idea of someone seeing everything I spend and what on!)

Finally - can they really insist on a year? I might not have every one - what can they do about that? Surely 3 months would be adequate?

Advice, feedback appreciated...

Ella

peppapighastakenovermylife Sun 19-Jun-11 15:53:09

confused

I have never heard of that one before! Last year I received a letter telling me to give evidence of my childcare bills for the year - with a deadline of 2 weeks or my money would stop. I was a few days off giving birth hmm. In the end I made a list by going back through my cheque book and got nursery to sign it.

They cannot dictate how you spend your money. Presumably unless someone is giving you loads and loads of money or you are working cash in hand then you have the amount they have calculated for you.

I personally never quite understand why branches of HMRC cant talk to each other. I mean, they ask every year for our earnings and have asked me for a p60 before...surely it is on their systems?

<wonders if we give them ours showing we dont have many non essential outcomes whether they'll bump it up a bit wink>

CogitoErgoSometimes Sun 19-Jun-11 16:57:18

I expect they'll be spot-checking whether the bills and receipts for childcare match outgoings from your bank statements, and whether payslips match deposits. Something simple like that.

One of the reasons G Brown was so wrong to put the responsibility for dispensing a cash benefit in the hands of HMRC was that they are more used to getting tax money paid in rather than doling it out. So when the system is going well, they're fine. But if they suspect irregularities or - heaven forbid - they find you owe them money, they can get a bit heavy-handed because that's how they do things.

xiaojwww Mon 20-Jun-11 02:50:37

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now