Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Now on my own - will I be able to afford it?

(6 Posts)
MaisieMama Fri 17-Jun-11 20:33:46

Hi I'm a bit of a newbie so please go easy on me wink

I'm british but currently live in Canada. My husband has decided he's actually a wanderer at heart and wants to live a different life (i.e. one without me and our 2yr old DD). I'm planning to return to London where I have loads more support & will be happy but I'm terrified about being able to afford life in general.

At the moment I'm a stay at home mum - will that have to change? Am I entitled to benefits? Will I be able to live on them? Will they make me go back to work? On top of all the stress of him leaving and suddenly realising I'm going to be a single mum I'm really freaking out about money.

Anyone have any advice/survival tactics?

Thanks!

DorisIsAPinkDragon Fri 17-Jun-11 20:59:43

The two best websites for money related things in your situation will (iniatially) be entitledto.co.uk and moneysavingexpert.

The first one you can work out what help will be available for you, and your dd (is she a canadian citizen or dual nationality ). Working out where you want / can afford to live will depend on a number of factors (some of which I'm unsure of but if you have links to the area (family around help iirc).

Have a look at those two first then work out what housing benefit is paid in the area where you were hoping to live and what kind of accomodation that will give you. It's unlikely anyone will make you go back to work but considering part time work (if you can get it) may be useful way of increasing what is available for you and your dd.

Have you spoken to your H about maintence payments yet? He should be paying towards the costs of raising your daughter too. (whether he thinks this is right or not).

Good luck, there are a lot of women on the lone parents threads who have a far better idea of the current system than I it may be useful to post there too.

xiaojree Sat 18-Jun-11 13:27:07

Message deleted

xiaojdd Sun 19-Jun-11 01:29:31

Message deleted

xiaojwww Mon 20-Jun-11 02:48:59

Message deleted

MaisieMama Wed 22-Jun-11 05:21:55

Thanks Doris - I'll post in Lone Parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now