Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My bank is sacking me!!

(86 Posts)
TiffanyToothache Thu 16-Jun-11 20:44:32

I don't know why?!

Received a notice today - in 2 months they will close my account.

It says "having reviewed matters carefully, the bank no longer wishes to provide you with banking facilities" No further explanation! I'm stunned.

I've had one account for 13 years since I was a student. I had a student loan, graduate loan and student overdraft - all diligently paid off, years ago. Good income. It's now mine and DH's main joint account - both salaries go in - DDs and SOs go out to pay bills. Recently opened a savings account with them - that's also to be closed!

It has been in credit for YEARS (since student days were over) - I pay £7 per month for my account. No debt with them.

Been on mat leave this year so salary dropped - would this be why?

TiffanyToothache Thu 16-Jun-11 20:45:27

And didn't open letter until after office hours so I can't ask them yet - really busy day at work tomorrow too . . .

PredictableDullard Thu 16-Jun-11 20:47:31

weird

AnyFuleKno Thu 16-Jun-11 20:47:36

which bank?

It will be because your salary has dropped. Banks have criteria for the customer profiles they want to maintain, if they can't sell you loads of products they will have decided it's not worth their while

very elitist and very unsavoury practice if you ask me.

You can complain of course, and there is the banking ombudsman

PredictableDullard Thu 16-Jun-11 20:47:54

which bank?

belledechocchipcookie Thu 16-Jun-11 20:48:16

They are not making money out of you. Can you go overdrawn so they can charge you?

Seriously though, I'd be very angry and wish to name and shame them. Do move, they don't deserve your custom.

poorbuthappy Thu 16-Jun-11 20:49:09

doesn't make sense to me. If anyone should have their account closed its me...christ knows how it hasn't happened yet...

TiffanyToothache Thu 16-Jun-11 20:50:29

RBS

I elected to get my mat pay in equal installments, so it would look as if it's a permanent salary drop.

Not sure I want to stay with them actually if that's their practice and it's not just a cock up.

Oh, DH hasn't had a letter, even though both accounts specified are joint accounts.

starmucks Thu 16-Jun-11 20:51:38

That sounds wrong. Unless you're consistently defaulting on them or running an overdraft, I can't see why they would do that. I suspect it's an admin issue and will be resolved. I wouldn't get stressed about.

TiffanyToothache Thu 16-Jun-11 20:53:37

I am fuming actually. I have been a god customer for years and they have made loads of money out of me from my student accounts and loans. I also stupidly pay every month for a royalties account and NEVER use the benefits.

AnyFuleKno Thu 16-Jun-11 20:54:06

people running their accounts nicely in credit and with savings makes the bank no money to speak of, starmucks. Overdrafts and loans on the other hand...

PredictableDullard Thu 16-Jun-11 20:54:20

definitely a mistake. i stopped work last year and haven't been sacked by rbs

TiffanyToothache Thu 16-Jun-11 20:55:29

And it's ME that's the main earner

TiffanyToothache Thu 16-Jun-11 20:56:23

Ok, I've been a good customer - but not so great as to be a god customer blush

AnyFuleKno Thu 16-Jun-11 20:57:09

have you made lots of complaints to them in the past?

that would be another reason to end a customer relationship.

rookiemater Thu 16-Jun-11 20:57:58

I wonder if they will get rid of me? I have been a customer for 23 years, but now we get our salaries paid into another account so just my personal spends go into the account.

TiffanyToothache Thu 16-Jun-11 20:58:39

No complaints, actually until now I have been really pleased with their service.

tortilla Thu 16-Jun-11 21:00:40

It's a lie that people in credit with savings make banks no money - that's the money they use to lend to other customers and they make money off that. Without attracting people who are in credit, they have no cash to lend to the people in debt who pay interest! They make money by earning more interest on the debts than they pay on savings. If a bank got rid of all customers who were in credit then they wouldn't be in business.

I would phone up and play heck with them tomorrow.

RollingInTheAisles Thu 16-Jun-11 21:02:40

TiffanyToothache Thu 16-Jun-11 21:03:25

So how do I choose a new bank - I chose RBS on the basis they gave me more beer money student funds smile

AnyFuleKno Thu 16-Jun-11 21:04:41

it's not a 'lie' tortilla. Weird phrasing, i'm sure you didn't mean to sound so rude.

SingleFosterMum Thu 16-Jun-11 21:05:54

Why do you pay £7 per month?

tvfriend Thu 16-Jun-11 21:06:12

First Direct are great- when you phone them up some nice person (usually in Scotland) answers the phone straight away- no 'press this for this', repeating yourself again and again. Been with them for years and years and have never paid them anything for an account either

msrisotto Thu 16-Jun-11 21:06:49

I'd chase it up though, i've had to declare on paperwork whether i've been declined a bank account or loan or something in the past and I wouldn't want to say yes if I didn't have to .

coloursoftherainbow Thu 16-Jun-11 21:07:25

I think that you don't fit in with whatever their "ideal" profile is. I would not phone/write etc - just find a new bank and transfer as soon as possible - if they do not want your business another bank will.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now