Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

can i claim child benefit

(7 Posts)
ks1965 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:13:40

my sons girlfriend has lived with us for the past year, During this time her mum has been claiming child benefit and tax credits for her but has not supported her financially at all in this time. She is now 16 and wants to go to college but her mum refuses to fund this.We have been to social services today who adviced me to claim and pass this on to her and also report her mum for fraud ( the latter i dont want to do) does anyone know if i could start to claim now as i am unsure as she isnt my child. We live in the UK

thisisyesterday Thu 16-Jun-11 16:16:15

yes, you can. it applies (as far as i know) to any child living in your care, doesn't matter if she isn't your child.

vj32 Thu 16-Jun-11 19:29:54

Why did you go to social services?

You can claim but you probably can't get anything while the mother is still claiming. Call the child benefit helpline and ask. 0845 302 1444
They won't be able to give you any info about mother's claim for confidentiality reasons - IME they are really strict about this.

ks1965 Fri 17-Jun-11 11:08:45

we went to social services because her mother is under them for her other 2 children and she has been in foster care in the past

xiaojree Sat 18-Jun-11 13:28:37

Message deleted

xiaojdd Sun 19-Jun-11 01:29:36

Message deleted

xiaojwww Mon 20-Jun-11 02:49:05

Message deleted

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: