Advanced search

really boring question about national insurance for Sahms

(6 Posts)
Concordia Thu 16-Jun-11 12:24:07

I seem to remember ages ago when we first claimed child benefit there was something about the named person being able to get National Insurance credits if they didn't work or something and thought - that won't apply to me i'll always be working blush
anyway, i wondered if i needed to do anything to activate this as i only earnt a few hundred pounds in the tax year 10-11 and can't believe i have paid enough NI
Do i need to contact anyone or does it happen automatically?

Concordia Thu 16-Jun-11 16:44:45


bottersnike Thu 16-Jun-11 16:50:23

Yes, if Child Benefit is paid to you then you can claim what are now called Carers' Credits (used to be Home Responsibilities Protection, so pleased they changed the name!) which cover your class 2 NI payments.
You just need to contact HMRC and register for the credit. I think you can do it online - try, or their helpline is usually good at pointing you in the right direction.

iskra Thu 16-Jun-11 16:52:54

I believe the same thing about the NI contributions via child benefit, but I don't know any more about it.

I have got the odd letter from HMRC telling me that I can make a payment of a few hundred quid to up my NI insurance contributions to the minimum in years when I haven't worked very much, maybe ring them & ask?

Concordia Thu 16-Jun-11 16:59:21


PogoBaby Thu 16-Jun-11 17:25:02

From the hmrc website:

How to get National Insurance credits

You'll get National Insurance credits automatically in some situations. If you don't, you'll need to apply for them.

You'll get National Insurance credits automatically:
• if you're getting Child Benefit for a child under 12

Had to check it out when DH became a SAHD.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: