Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Help I paid for some concert tickets through paypal & can't get hold of seller, think I've been 'had'

(15 Posts)
itstheclimb39 Wed 15-Jun-11 17:23:50

Last October I was searching for Take That tickets on e-bay (foolish I know but I was desperate for them). Anyway one guy was selling 2 tickets and in his description said he would take them off auction & sell them to someone through paypal if they would pay him £185. I did this & he assured he would send the tickets onto me as soon as he received them. He sent me proof of his purchase from Ticket master. Last Friday I e-mailed him to find out if he'd received them yet to pass onto me. I didn't get a reply & since then have e-mailed him twice & text him once but still with no reply. I am so worried he's conned me. I paid my paypal transaction on my credit card. is there anything I can do to get my money back?

KateMiddletonsMum Wed 15-Jun-11 17:28:15

Contact Paypal now and report it

bellavita Wed 15-Jun-11 17:28:21

Sounds like you have been had sad. When is the concert? I know tickets take ages to come through.

I would ring paypal and your credit card and seek advice.

itstheclimb39 Wed 15-Jun-11 20:51:28

thanks have been trying to contact paypal the past 3 days but their website appears to be down & I can't connect to the link SO am so so hoping my credit card company will pay up but am wondering how they will approve it, surely any-one could swing them my story????

foodjunkie Sat 18-Jun-11 17:07:00

When is the concert due to take place that you need the tickets for? Some don't get despatched until 2 weeks or so PRIOR to the concert.
Not sure about Take That ones though.

xiaojdd Sun 19-Jun-11 01:30:32

Message deleted

xiaojwww Mon 20-Jun-11 02:49:50

Message deleted

blushingm Mon 20-Jun-11 21:17:24

this happned to me - aaparently you can't claim the money back if it's a scam until the concert has taken place........................

plinkduet Thu 30-Jun-11 17:52:17

Go into your Paypal account and look for the Resolution Centre tab.

Use it to open a Dispute claiming your tickets never arrived.

Paypal covers most things, tickets I'm unsure about, possibility you may not be covered.

If it was bought through ebay, you can go through their Dispute service first before trying Paypal.

Otherwise, if you've paid by credit card, I think you are covered for Fraud for items over £100.

Be aware that phoning Paypal can cost you 50p a minute... :0 But I think or ebay have a live chat option.

If you need the neccessary ebay/Paypal links, let me know smile

Fimbo Thu 30-Jun-11 17:56:07

I don't know about tickets but my paypal account was debited by £750 for an item I hadn't even bid on. Paypal did refund the money within a couple of days but I was so worried. I have since closed my paypal account, because I thought it was secure and they couldn't just take money willy nilly.

I hope they sort it out for you. I did phone, but think it was Ireland somewhere, the guy I spoke to wasn't really that helpful and didn't tell me anything more than what the dispute tab did.

Good luck.

plinkduet Thu 30-Jun-11 18:06:24

Fimbo, keep an eye on your 'closed' Paypal account, it's actually still live for the next 6 months, as written in the user agreement small print! :0

It's kept live in case disputes arise meanwhile.

fergoose Thu 30-Jun-11 22:07:05

you are too late to claim from paypal - the limit is 45 days

but you can contact your credit card and ask for a chargeback - and you will be refunded.

5inthebed Thu 30-Jun-11 22:13:23

If you bought tickets outside of Ebay, then Ebay cannot do anything.

If you sent the money gifted, then Paypal aren't bound to do anything either.

Hope you get it resolved.

Fimbo Fri 01-Jul-11 10:15:03

Thanks plinkduet. Dh is in a rage about it all. Happened about 2 months ago, but I sold something a couple of weeks ago, so have just closed it.

SwedishKaz Fri 01-Jul-11 10:15:30

You mentioned that you have try texting the seller. If you have his mobile number, perhaps you should just give him a ring to ask him straight out?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now