Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

New pushchair has some faults, where do I stand?

(6 Posts)
nappydaysagain Tue 14-Jun-11 17:51:48

Hi I purchased a new stroller/pushchair from an on-line shop which came last friday. I used the pushchair once for literally 10 minutes. When it came to putting it down I discovered the clip doesn't reach the bit which holds it together so it wont stay shut together. There is a screw which connects the hood to the frame which hasn't been connected properly and also the recline mechanism gets jammed sometimes (it is operated using a toggle on a nylon strip).

I emailed the company the next day as it was a saturday and the customer service team where only there monday - friday. Received a response monday asking me to email photos which I did.

Today I received an email saying the manufacturers would only replace if I'd not used the item and it was as I received it. I have explained that I have (used just once - you can see on the wheels that it has been used). Does anyone know where I stand? I feel foolish for not checking it properly before it was used. It's a Petite Star Zia+.

Thanks

CogitoErgoSometimes Tue 14-Jun-11 20:22:37

According to the Sale of Goods Act, goods should be 'fit for purpose', which the pushchair clearly isn't. And 'fit for purpose' should apply for a 'reasonable' length of time i.e. not one or two outing. Remind the manufacturer in very strong terms of this, tell them their 'not used' stipulation is a load of rubbish, that you will send the pushchair back in the original packaging, that you will be seeking reparation from your credit card company if they don't pony up the dough.... and, in the meantime, put in a claim with your credit card company (assuming you used one to pay online)

nappydaysagain Tue 14-Jun-11 21:16:25

Thanks for the advice, I'll use your wording if I don't get any joy when they reply tomorrow. Unfortunately I paid by debit card though so wont be able to pt in a claim sad.

allthefires Tue 14-Jun-11 22:17:16

Was it a visa debit? May have some protection.

nappydaysagain Wed 15-Jun-11 09:27:44

Yes it was HSBC visa debit. Just checked my emails and one requesting photos again as they didn't receive them (sent Monday)??? They are there in my sent items and am puzzled as to why they didn't ask for them in the email yesterday angry. Nobody is answering the customer services telephone either or the sales line.

The company is Smart Play Zone if anyone has any experience.

nappydaysagain Wed 15-Jun-11 20:13:44

Turns out they got me mixed up with another customer (stated in an email today) confused. All sorted out now they are sending a courrier to pick up faulty push chair and replace with a new one on friday.

Thought I'd better update the thread incase anyone searches the archives in the future.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: