Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Cheque issued in joint names but don't have joint account any more

(11 Posts)
LawrieMarlow Sat 11-Jun-11 22:04:02

Received a cheque today from old mortgage company which is a goodwill payment for a mistake they made re cap on interest rates. As it was for a joint mortgage the cheque is in joint names. H and I have now separated and so no longer have the joint account, although we will both get half of it, whoever does pay it in.

Spoke to my bank who said I could try paying it in but it might get stopped. They said I could try asking rhe issuer to reissue it in just one name.

Has anyone had experience of this snd whst did they do? Would quite like it sorted as soon as possible.

belledechocchipcookie Sat 11-Jun-11 22:05:06

Phone them up and ask them to re-issue it.

bilblio Sat 11-Jun-11 22:09:04

DH and I had to open a joint account when we were issued a cheque in joint names. The bank wouldn't pay it in to an account under a single name. He wasn't DH then.

I'd go back to the issuer and explain the situation and ask for 2 cheques... maybe write a letter signed by you both.

ginmakesitallok Sat 11-Jun-11 22:10:18

I'd try to pay it in first - worst thing that can happen is that they stop it - then get in touch with issuers

fivegomadindorset Sat 11-Jun-11 22:11:31

Try paying it in, if that doesn't work get in touch with the mortgage company, explain your circumstances and ask if they could do two cheques for equal amounts to you and your ex.

LawrieMarlow Sat 11-Jun-11 22:19:56

Lots of suggestions there thank you smile

Was a pity that I got back here a few minutes after the mortgage company closed or I would have been able to call them and see what they said. As cheque was dated 10th May and they only sent it recently (and judging by their website page about it are sending quite a few such cheques) I feel it might take a while to reissue although I could be wrong.

Ex would be fine with the cheque being payable to me (as I would for him) as we are luckily amicable enough to know the other one would pay half of it, which at least gets rid of the need to have two cheques issued.

EldonAve Sat 11-Jun-11 22:22:09

if it's under £1000 they probably won't even check it so I'd try paying it in

LawrieMarlow Sat 11-Jun-11 22:23:49

It is actually for more than £1,000 (was very pleasant surprise smile)

EldonAve Sat 11-Jun-11 22:36:39

smile

Blondeshavemorefun Sat 11-Jun-11 23:19:41

ive put in a cheq to mr and mrs blondes into my own blonde account and was fine, so hopefully you will be

LawrieMarlow Wed 15-Jun-11 22:19:51

Tried taking it to bank who said no chance, so spoke to mortgage company. Had to send cheque back with a letter signed by both H and me to say we were happy for it to all go in my name, or we could have asked for separate cheques (am doing the former as I advanced a bit of it to H so I would like the whole cheque's value). The person I spoke to said they have a special department for reissuing the cheques so hopefully shouldn't take too long.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now