Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

I hate Barclays, they are such tossers

(9 Posts)
TheOriginalNutcracker Wed 01-Jun-11 10:46:19

Years ago I took out a loan for £6000 with them. Always paid the repayments on time etc, no problems.

Then i split with xp. I tried to carry on with the repayments but eventually missed some. Barclays put me on a temp repayment plan of £40 a month but then when that finished they basically said tough and more or less forced me to agree to restrucure the loan, paying £105 a month for the next 10 years. They said if i didnt they would close my account and get debt companies onto me.

That was 5yrs ago and since then I have always paid the repayments, sometimes leaving myself with no money. This month though i missed my repayment.

They have just rung me and i explained that i am struggling to pay, but said that if they changed the payment date from the 24th to the 28th each month this would be better because i get paid on the 28th so the money would go straight out.

They have refused. They said because I have a resolve loan the payment date cannot be moved at all.

How fucking ridiculous is that.

I wish i'd stopped paying it when i was on benefits now and let them take me to court, instead of struggling on.

vickibee Wed 01-Jun-11 12:41:36

it does seem very inflexible on their part - I would pop into branch and speak with a real person face to face who can apply some common sense. What about XP, does he not pay towards it?

ajandjjmum Wed 01-Jun-11 12:44:15

Those figures look like loan shark figures! I'd go and try to talk to somebody, although I know it's not always easy. Banks seem to only pay lip service to customer care these days.

Katisha Wed 01-Jun-11 12:45:50

WHen you go in you may find the manager is about 14, if they are there at all, so keep asking to speak to someone senior until you get someone sensible.

Chipotle Wed 01-Jun-11 12:49:36

I hate Barclays too and have no idea why I'm with them. I agree with a previous poster, go and speak to them face to face. It might be a good idea to post this on the moneysavingexpert forum.

VeraNofftopic Wed 01-Jun-11 12:50:52

Ask to make a complaint if they keep refusing.

Katisha Wed 01-Jun-11 12:53:24

THey are very "computer says no" in their attitude. Have suffered from this, and have also suffered from a patronising lecture from said 14 yr old bank manager.

TheOriginalNutcracker Wed 01-Jun-11 18:00:41

Thank's all.

Xp pays nothing toward the loan no. It was only in my name so I have no way of making him pay. He only pays £5 child support between 3 children a week too lol.

I told them they were being ridiculously and they said it was a rule that the term of the loan could not be extended beyond 10years and that moving the repyament date 4 days later would be extending the terms.

I have recently opened another bank account elsewhere, and I am going to transfer all incomings and outgoings over to them and then try and sort this mess out. At least that way, while it is being sorted,, they can't just take money anyway.

Just to point out aswell, i made a mistake in my original explanation. The resolve loan has only been in place for 2 years not 5, so I still have 8 years to pay. By the time it finishes I will have paid back nearly £13000 for an original loan of £6000.

I am also going to speak to a debt organisation.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 01-Jun-11 21:21:29

Definiely make an appointment with one of the free debt advice services such as National Debtline, CCCS or CAB. It's not that easy to transfer outstanding loans and banks generally aren't too forgiving of people that miss payments (not just Barclays). If you end up missing payments because you're regularly struggling to keep your head above water and trying to sort the mess out at the same time, you'll risk getting into bother with your new bank.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: