Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Double charge for one prescription, can that be correct?

(8 Posts)
Driftwood999 Thu 26-May-11 15:18:45

I first posted this on Health earlier today. GP has changed my hrt from Premenique to Elleste Duet. The prescription was faxed to the chemist and I have just had it filled there. Only, I was surprised that I was charged £14.80. The explanation being that it is in fact two drugs. Take it or leave it. Clearly the pills are in one box, three months supply. On each of the three cards there are 16 white tablets, followed by 12 green tablets, so to my mind this is one product/medication, to treat menopausal symptoms. My last prescription was for 12 month's worth and was the standard cost of £7.40. I'm not complaining that I have only be given 3 month's worth, as it is a new prescription, but is it right that one is charged double rate for Elleste Duet, even if the name does suggest the number 2! Anyone with experience of this. With thanks.

quietlysuggests Thu 26-May-11 21:12:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Driftwood999 Thu 26-May-11 21:48:21

Thank you for your reply. I re posted on AIBU? it attracted quite a bit of comment.

cuckooclock Wed 01-Jun-11 20:49:05

I remember getting a migraine prescription a few years ago and being told that there were 2 prescription charges for it as there was 2 drugs in the box. However the pharmasist was really good and told me it was MUCH cheaper to buy it over the counter. I guess you maybe don't have the option. I live in Scotland now and we all get free prescriptions (as do the Welsh).

vickibee Wed 01-Jun-11 20:51:05

IT IS PER MEDICINE - Ihad to pay for two items when i got my canestan pessary and cream. the chemist said it was cheaper to but #10.99 instaed of #14.40

2gorgeousboys Wed 01-Jun-11 20:57:11

I had this last year when I need monthly injections as treatment for endometriosis - I was given a 3 month presciption by the GP to be administered by the practice nurse but because it was the treatment and the needle it was classed as 2 items. It then got worse when the nurse messed up month 2 and I had to get another prescription and pay for it for the injection she had messed up!!

I think if it is 1 treatment it should be charged as such.

vickibee Fri 03-Jun-11 09:23:40

Cuckoo - it is so unfair that only the English have to pay charges - we are a UNITED Kingdom but this is an example of a DIVIDED kingdom

cuckooclock Fri 03-Jun-11 21:48:50

vickibee, I agree it is unfair but if the Scottish government wants to do this then I am perfectly happy to accept it. We also get free eye tests & free dental checkups too.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: