Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Benifits

(4 Posts)
anxiousfifi Wed 18-May-11 12:20:12

Hi all. I've had to finish my job after 13yrs due to ill health, but I'm now pregnant, my husband earns around 21k a year (inluding overtime) are we entitled to any benifits at all, we have a morgage too.

CogitoErgoSometimes Wed 18-May-11 12:35:45

This Benefits Checker is a good place to start. It should point you in the direction of what is possible and then you need to make the applications. If your family has a low income you may be entitled to Working Family Tax Credits. If your ill health constitutes a disability there may be help there. When your child arrives, there is more help available.

expatinscotland Wed 18-May-11 12:41:36

The threshold for Working Tax Credits is about £16000. Gross. And yes, they count overtime. It's not worth applying for unless you're near or under the threshold, IMO, because if you get them and then it's found you earned over, you will be forced to pay back the HMRC. And they will use what means necessary to get the money back.

You may qualify for DLA if your health condition warrants it. It is not means-tested.

And Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit when your baby arrives.

There is no assistance for mortgages for couples in your situation, however.

anxiousfifi Wed 22-Jun-11 09:29:57

many thanks for your help, I'll have a look at the benifits checker.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now