Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

CCJ and mortgage advice.

(7 Posts)
Flickstar Mon 16-May-11 07:24:43

Hi All,

I posted this first in the property section but then found the money matters section and thought my question fit better here so sorry if you have seen these before!

My DH and I are looking to but our first home after working abroad for two years and saving up a substantial deposit.

I am just wondering about the ease of getting a mortgage as I have an old CCJ registered to my name. The CCJ came as a result of an unpaid parking ticket issued in 2003 that was for 50 pounds(sorry, don't have a pound sign on my computer!) The reason that the ticket was unpaid was because I was at university at the time and my parents moved house. My car was registered to my parents old address and unbeknown to me, the ticket went to my parent's house where it sat unpaid. I know I should have registered my car to my parent's new address but it is not the sort of thing that was a priority to me when I was 20!

The reason that I found out about this CCJ was when my DH and I first thought of buying a house in 2007 it was, of course, flagged up in the credit check which caused much hysteria on my part and resulted in the mortgage intially being refused. Anyway, I 'satisfied' the CCJ and in the end DH and I were awarded a mortgage by the same company who had previously refused us. As it turns out we decided not to buy a house at that point as we were planning our wedding and knew we wanted to move abroad.

Fast forward to now and we are moving back to England to buy a house and this CCJ has started to niggle at me. From the research I have done it seems that a CCJ is removed from your credit record after six years but I just wondered if anyone has had any experience of successfully obtaining a mortgage after a CCJ?

Thanks in advance

Gonzo33 Mon 16-May-11 16:43:58

I am currently living abroad, but 2 years ago was working as a mortgage advisor in UK. I have obtained mortgages in the past with current CCJ's, I know that lending has changed in the time I have been away but I should imagine that a satisfied CCJ from 2003 would not pose a problem.

Flickstar Tue 17-May-11 02:44:51

Thanks so much for replying gonzo. Hopefully it won't be too much of a problem then!

littlemum007 Mon 30-May-11 08:36:55

you could try writing to the company who issued a CCJ (for a parking ticket and for so little an amount, I am quite astonished) and ask them to remove it. They CAN do this by making an application to the court (sorry don't know the form but its something like an N244 application.... you'll need to check) to ask them to remove it...... I have to say tho' I've never heard of a CCJ for £50 - there must surely have been court costs etc., added to it - are you sure you're figures are correct? Good luck

LoveBeingAbleToNamechange Mon 30-May-11 08:39:08

After it has been statisfed for a certain amount of to
e it drops of your history, can't remember how long and on my phone. Dh had one and we are now 4 years into our mortgage grin

onadietcokebreak Mon 30-May-11 17:48:10

After six years they should drop off your credit file.

Katframe Sun 05-Jun-11 20:56:34

Hi I am a mortgage adviser. In most cases with most mortgage lenders as long as a ccj has been satisfied at least 36 months ago and you can provide evidence of it being satisfied then you should not have a problem. Also the nature of the ccj and your explaination seems plausable. It was a mistake and not a blatent refusal or unwillingness to pay off credit arrangements. Good luck!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: