Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Anyone know if a lone parent can claim either Income Support/tax credits whilst on a full time course?

(37 Posts)
allgonebellyup Fri 06-May-11 13:42:55

The course is an NHS full time professional training course, and i will be receiving (hopefully) an NHS bursary to help me.
I'm unsure though, whether i can claim either Income Support or tax credits during this time?
Have tried calling both NHS and Inland revenue but neither were sure!!

Chil1234 Fri 06-May-11 15:08:54

Have you tried Unison?

GypsyMoth Fri 06-May-11 15:30:38

how much is a bursary??

allgonebellyup Fri 06-May-11 17:23:16

Bursary is different for each applicant- the calculator suggests i would receive £7000 per year.

GypsyMoth Fri 06-May-11 20:17:57

wow!! and you have to pay that back,or not??

allgonebellyup Fri 06-May-11 21:47:19

no, you dont pay it back. But its not enough for us to live on; my mortgage is 900 a month! And as the course is full time, i wouldnt be working, and i have no partner.
At the moment we live off nearly 26k and even then its a struggle.

LawrieMarlow Fri 06-May-11 21:51:03

I earn about £8k a year and with two children am getting about £100/week tax credits. Don't think I am entitled to income support although tax credits person said I should claim it as the worst they can say is no (which I found quite funny).

Not sure about council tax benefit (am applying for housing benefit and council tax benefit but house is rented).

AlmaSinger Fri 06-May-11 21:53:25

would you be enrolled at a university to do this course?

GypsyMoth Fri 06-May-11 23:36:24

even with tax credits AND income support,it would never bring you up to what you need. which you say is 26k????

you're going to have to lower your standards!

and when it comes to these benefits,mortgage or not,makes no difference,its not taken into consideration.

PrinceHumperdink Fri 06-May-11 23:40:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrinceHumperdink Fri 06-May-11 23:40:56

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GypsyMoth Fri 06-May-11 23:42:37

housing benefit pays interest only on mortgages,buit thats wityh jobseekers allowance,not income support

you get healthy start with tax credits?? didnt know that,thought it was only income support

PrinceHumperdink Fri 06-May-11 23:43:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovewaldorfandstatler Fri 06-May-11 23:51:29

AFAIK the bursary isn't taken into account for tax credits but i was told i couldn't claim hb as my bursary was counted. in order to claim help for child care costs i have to work 16hrs/wk to get working tax credit and claim the child care element.

MissAnthrope Fri 06-May-11 23:54:32

You should be able to claim child tax credits.

PrinceHumperdink Fri 06-May-11 23:55:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrinceHumperdink Fri 06-May-11 23:55:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GypsyMoth Fri 06-May-11 23:58:59

op....i really cant see how you will manage with a mortgage of £900 a month!!!

how are you getting the 26k at present??

ilovewaldorfandstatler Sat 07-May-11 00:04:34

bursary is £500/mth but because i get tax credits it knocks me juuuust over. so i have to pay full rent. by the time i've paid for child care etc i have £60-70/mth for bits and bobs. bit crap when something breaks or both DCs need stuff.

oh well, just till october then i'll be qualified..... hope i get a job cos if not i'll be £500/mth down before i even startsad

PrinceHumperdink Sat 07-May-11 00:05:23

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PrinceHumperdink Sat 07-May-11 00:06:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ilovewaldorfandstatler Sat 07-May-11 00:13:50

i have 2 DC. it's the extras that cost. we only get a % of travel expenses reinbursed and tbh childcare is my biggest cost because i have to pay unsociable hours when i'm on placement. depending on my placement area i have been known to leave the house at 5:30 am to travel, work shift from 7:30-20:30 and be back for 10pm so you can imagine how much that costs. although i have people who will help out where they can, some days it just doesn't work out....

ilovewaldorfandstatler Sat 07-May-11 00:17:54

Prince, i know! and it's for working at the coal face. could be worse though.....nursing bursaries are going so it's going to be even harder to do the training even if you are hugely motivated etc. the course i'm on leaves very little time to do paid work because we don't get the long holidays that other students do.

PrinceHumperdink Sat 07-May-11 08:58:59

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

MavisGrind Sat 07-May-11 09:09:18

I'm doing a PGCE and get a bursary of 4K (which is being scrapped this year - nice for future trainees) and this isn't counted against Tax Credits so I get roughly £100 per week as a LP of 2 children.

AGBU - were you considering a career as an Ed Psych about 4 years ago? If so we chatted briefly then about it all <Has a good memory, not trying to be a MN stalker> grin What's your course now?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: