Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Personal finance expert, Holly Thomas answers your questions

(30 Posts)
RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 01-Mar-11 14:13:41

Are you looking for ways to get more for your money? Travel rewards scheme Airmiles has teamed up with award winning personal finance journalist Holly Thomas from the Daily Express to answer your questions. With over ten years experience providing top tips on personal finance issues, Holly is happy to answer questions on all areas of money saving and will be offering tips on shopping wisely.

Send your questions to Holly before end of day on Sunday and we'll link to her answers from this page next week.

CradleCrap Sun 06-Mar-11 15:22:07

My son aged 3 was entitled to a Child trust fund, my daughter was born on 1 Jan this year so is not eligible for one. I believe The Junior ISAs that will replace the CTF won't be available untill the Autumn. What can I do with her money? I have a lump sum of £300 and want to put in £10 per month. Ideally I would like it linked to shares rather than a savings account.

GoldenBeagle Sun 06-Mar-11 17:17:40

Hello smile.
I am 53, have been working since I was in my early 20s, no career break, and have had my NI contributions contracted out since 1994 to Scottish Equitable (now Aeon?) policy that was originally set up as a pension against my mortgage. I now have a repayment mortgage but still pay the Scottish Equitable policy. Should I still be contracting out?

The only other savings I have towards my pension is a L&G Endowment also set up against my original mortgage.

As long as I stay in work I don't need the two policies to pay the mortgage off at end of term.

Thank you!

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 06-Mar-11 22:45:30

We'll be sending your questions over to Holly tomorrow morning and will be linking to her answers from this page shortly. Thanks to all who sent in questions.

Trublatmill Thu 10-Mar-11 00:52:36

Whilst I have no reason to question the quality of any advice given by Holly Thomas, when it comes to personal finance (pensions, ISAs etc), Ms Thomas is not registered with the Financial Services Authority (FSA) and therefore not authorised to give financial advice as an IFA would be.

Consequently, should anyone decide to act on one of Ms Thomas's "top tips on personal finance issues" which subsequently goes horribly wrong, they would have no recourse to make a complaint or seek compensation through the FSA or the Financial Ombudsman Service (FOS).

I have no axe to grind but just thought this should be brought to peoples attention.

RachelMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Mar-11 10:17:51

You can now see the full transcribed Q&A with Holly's answers to your questions here

Holly Thomas Q&A

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now