Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Tax credits question re separation

(4 Posts)
FlorenceAndTheMachine Mon 10-Jan-11 14:37:52

There is a possibility H and I are going to split up on a temporary basis at first for a few months.

I am basically a SAHM although earn some money from various part time jobs. He would give me some money for living costs.

Would tax credits be affected by this? I am trying to understand the tax credits calculator and in the part where it asks if you have a partner it says to say no if you aren't likely to get together again. At the moment I don't know that. It also says to disregard any maintenance you are paid - again I'm not sure how money H would give me would be counted.

Thank you for any ideas on this.

FlorenceAndTheMachine Mon 10-Jan-11 14:39:53

I also have the problem of not knowing how to answer the question about how many hours I work - both the jobs I do are seasonal so I work full time for a few weeks of the year, part time for a few other weeks and nothing at all most of the time. The help they give doesn't seem to cover it.

I can see I may have to do the dreaded thing of Phoning Up grin

marantha Mon 10-Jan-11 15:20:28

None of us knows what the future may hold; so in my opinion, it is a bit of a ridiculous question to ask 'are you likely to get back together again?' I mean-who knows?
As long as you are not actually living together and are open and honest as regards ALL your income, I can't see there being a problem.
Stupid question, though, I mean hypothetically-speaking of course, what if a person DOES get back with partner- are they then going to accuse claimant of somehow 'failing' to predict future?! confused

gregssausageroll Mon 10-Jan-11 17:06:07

I think all you can do is give a best estimate and telephone to advise of any changes immediately, especially if you are likely to be due to give money back.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now