Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Fuck!!! For the first time ever have made a late mortgage payment!!! Has anyone ever persuaded a lender not to Mark their credit file?

(10 Posts)
trixymalixy Fri 07-Jan-11 19:22:52

I have had a mortgage for 15 years now and never been late with a payment. I've just found out that a miscalculation over Christmas has meant that the DD didn't go out.

We have a massive overpayment reserve on our mortgage account. We have never missed a payment.

I have paid now via the automated facility, but couldn't get to speak to someone about it.

Has anyone ever managed to persuade a lender not to Mark their credit file due to past good history?

PinkElephantsOnParade Fri 07-Jan-11 22:42:06

I think it is likely that a mix up over a DD resulting in a slightly late payment will not result in a mark on your credit file.

I think it would have to be over a month overdue before this would happen.

I once had a problem with DD payment where mortgage co was taken over and they informed bank that name had changed, but bank mistakenly treated this as a cancellation of the DD mandate. Payment therefore was turned down and we had to pay by cheque. We never had anything appear on our credit file and the payment ended up being 3 weeks late.

Also had bank bounce a payment when they mistakenly thought we were over OD limit. The mortgage co were not worried and simply represented the DD request - they said they do this automatically and was not a problem.

But speak to lender just to make sure.

Come to think of it, make sure they do not represent the DD request as you would be seriously out of pocket if they do!

Grumpla Fri 07-Jan-11 22:47:49

We missed a mortgage payment last year when the DD bounced (it was my fault, I forgot to transfer a chunk of money from one account to another in time) and our lender was absolutely fine about it, we paid instantly by debit card over the phone when they contacted us. No mark on file.

If you have a chunk of overpayments on there you should be fine anyway, give them a call tomorrow and check but I don't think you need to panic!

Honeydragon Fri 07-Jan-11 22:51:53

Don't forget your dd date might not even be your due date. Some companys retry in 3 days automatically if the first doesn't go through to - make sure you can't pay twice.

ravenAK Fri 07-Jan-11 23:02:48

I've done this - I pay the mortgage, but dh transfers money into my account each month as otherwise I'd then be cleaned out!

We were on holiday, so both spending extra - I'd anticipated this & asked dh to make an additional payment into my account, but he misunderstood & moved the money into the wrong bloody account...

Both my bank & the mortgage provider levied 'admin charges' angry so I was bout £70 down, but no effect on credit rating. They just re-presented it a couple of weeks later.

trixymalixy Sat 08-Jan-11 10:53:51

Phew, panic over. I phoned them this morning and because we have such a large overpayment reserve we'd have to miss years and years of payments to go into arrears.

So no arrears means no mark on our credit file.

What a relief!! I thought because a payment had bounced they think you're having financial difficulties and mark your credit file.

Chil1234 Sat 08-Jan-11 13:08:24

You can get hold of your credit file if you join up with a company like Experian. (If you cancel before the try-out period expires it usually costs nothing). What you'll see is that there are different categories of 'black mark' depending on the severity and timespan of the outstanding debt. A missed DD will hardly create a ripple whereas a debt overdue for several months will be recorded.

I found it really interesting and - even if you have zero debts and no history of missing payments - it's worthwhile to occasionally check what financial checks have been made on you.

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Sat 08-Jan-11 13:32:46

I don't think you would have had a black mark anyway as long as they represented the DD within the month and it went through.

We had no overpayment reserve when our DD was bounced due to a bank error and our lender said dont worry it happens all the time, no question of any adverse stuff on credit file.

ShariB Mon 04-Jul-16 14:47:18

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

M2676 Wed 02-Nov-16 11:33:37

We missed a payment last month,called natwest they said they will try to take the payment aftr 10 working days,asked them if it will affect our credit scorehe said no it wont!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now