Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

My mum has ran up a massive credit card bill.. Advice please?

(9 Posts)
Sazisi Tue 04-Jan-11 22:06:12

She won't even tell me how much
I wish I could take it all away, but we don't have it spare.

What steps can she take to manage the debt?
She is unable to keep up with the payments, and is not able to work as much due to arthritis. She said she's scared they'll take the house confused

She is in Ireland.

pinkyp Tue 04-Jan-11 22:57:52

write to the company, ask to put interest and charges on hold, explain the situation and TELL them how much you can afford to pay back, dont budge on this figure,. Make a list on income and out goings (ideally bank statements , wage slips to back this up) which you might need to send a copy of to the credit card company. I pay much much less than my min payment with no charges - they reviiew my situation every 6 months and change my payments accordingly.

BelaLugosiinStripes Tue 04-Jan-11 22:58:45

Moneysavingexpert website is a good starting point, but you may need extra help with your Mum being in Ireland.
general start here
Debt problems forum on MSE

purpleturtle Tue 04-Jan-11 23:05:21

I really wouldn't think they can take the house - there's a possibility they might put a charging order on it, but that would only come into play when/if the house is sold.

Disclaimer: this is based on my rudimentary knowledge of how things work in England, and I know nothing at all about Ireland.

maryz Tue 04-Jan-11 23:10:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

NonnoMum Tue 04-Jan-11 23:16:41

I second CAB. I know someone who vounteers there and is an expert at "bad debt". Your mum has been vulnerable to the snazzy marketing - they will help.

Sazisi Wed 05-Jan-11 00:21:03

Thanks everyone i really appreciate all your advice, I've only had time to read over tonight, I will check it all out more thoroughly in the morning and see what can be done.
She has heard of MABS and said she would ring them, though she keeps putting it off..

BuzzLightBeer Wed 05-Jan-11 16:23:13

go to www.askaboutmoney.com for irish finance advice.

Sazisi Fri 07-Jan-11 15:36:37

Thanks BuzzLightBeer

I have passed on all the info, and found the contact details of her local MABS office, now lets hope she uses it hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now