Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

hot water question

(8 Posts)
lilly153 Tue 04-Jan-11 11:00:17

do any of you know if leaving an emersa (sorry bout spelling) blushon 24/7 would be alot more dearer than switching it off and mabee only having it on 2 or 2 times a day for an hour at a time
thanks

DaisySteiner Tue 04-Jan-11 11:21:06

Yes, leaving your immersion heater on all day every day is more expensive than having it on as and when you need it.

lilly153 Tue 04-Jan-11 11:22:14

i no it would be more expensive but would it be much more is it worth turning it on and off? sorry for the questions im just clueless
thanks

DaisySteiner Tue 04-Jan-11 11:28:44

Can't give you actual figures because it will depend on lots of factors like how hot it heats the water, how cold the water is etc, but yes, over a period of time it would be a fair bit more. I certainly turn mine off, partly because if the thermostat was to malfunction you can end up damaging the tank (happened to me once when I forgot to turn it off). Why not buy a timer for it? If you have economy 7 it is well worth making sure you're using it during the cheap period.

lilly153 Tue 04-Jan-11 11:31:40

i have a little timer box so if i set this up correctly and have my hot water only come on at certain times and switch off at others, does this mean even all though my emarsa switch is left on all the time it will only charge me for when the timer clicks on and off?

also when are the cheap times how do i figure this out?

DaisySteiner Tue 04-Jan-11 11:58:07

Yes, the timer should mean that the immersion is only heating water at set times.

Whether you get cheap times or not will depend on what electricity tariff you're on - should say on a bill. If it includes economy 7 then cheap times are usually 12-7am during the winter and 1-8am in the summer (when clocks go forward).

Chil1234 Tue 04-Jan-11 13:04:56

If your hot water tank is well lagged with a thick jacket you should be able to heat the water for an hour morning and evening and for it to remain acceptably hot the rest of the time. BTW... set your hot water tank thermostat to 60C if it isn't already. Immersion heating is very expensive to leave on.

lilly153 Tue 04-Jan-11 14:26:42

Thanks for the info ladies
I've set up my timer so that my heatin come on at certain times and the goes off like when I'm not in house at night ect... I've also set my hot water so it comes on for 2 hours In the morning and 1 hour at night so fingers crossed this ruduces my bills hugely

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: