Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Joint accounts and returning goods

(7 Posts)
MilkyChopsKid Mon 03-Jan-11 15:56:44

DH and I have a joint account. If one of us buys something using the debit card can the other return it to the shop and get a credit to the card? Obviously we have a debit card each for the account but I'm not sure if they count as the same if a shop is crediting a card.

Thanks

SecretNutellaFix Mon 03-Jan-11 15:57:37

No- the refund has to go onto the card with which it is purchased and the named card holder must be present. Name and number have to match.

MilkyChopsKid Mon 03-Jan-11 16:10:47

Thanks for the answer, it does seem crazy not to work for joint accounts. Back to carrying lots of cash then I guess.

SecretNutellaFix Mon 03-Jan-11 16:33:53

Shops don't know that the card is to a linked account. All they see is a card number that doesn't match the receipt.

Why not just use the card issued to you for that account?

MilkyChopsKid Wed 05-Jan-11 15:50:20

I want to be able to buy things that my husband can then return if we decide we don't want them. Taking two toddlers round the shops has got too stressful and unproductive!

coco2901 Wed 05-Jan-11 15:59:56

If you use a credit card which you both have cards for the number on that should be the same...

Trublatmill Thu 13-Jan-11 01:23:31

Depends why you are returning the goods. If it is simply that you want a refund because the goods are no longer what you want, then yes, it is likely the original card holder will need to return the goods.

However, if the goods are being returned because they are faulty in some way, then as long as you have the receipt, anyone can return the goods and get a refund. I had a row in a House of Fraser store over this when DW bought an item (using her debit card) that turned out to be faulty. I took the goods back and eventually, the manager had to be called to authorise the refund. The Sale of Goods Act, I believe, is your friend.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now