Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Viruses on my computer!

(13 Posts)
happysunshinedays Fri 03-Dec-10 09:19:43

Not sure if this is in the right section, but need help please!!

My computer keeps popping up with "wsqmcons.exe is infected with net-worm.win32.lovesan. . . etc." Says a virus is trying to send my credit card details to third party. Also getting a "Security tool Fire Alert" whatever that is. I'm a complete techniphobe.

When I click on link to try and sort it, it tells me to buy a security tool for $79.

I don't have $79 and wondered what else I could do?? My computer was shut down in the middle of me using it 10 minutes ago as an emergency measure!

glitzy Fri 03-Dec-10 10:55:01

Rule no 1. Dont click on links! These are normally the viruses. Get yourself a free anti virus package and run it on your pc. What operating system are you using (window, etc)

happysunshinedays Fri 03-Dec-10 17:29:11

yes, windows. How do I get hold of a free anti virus package? These pop ups are doing my head in! Every 30 seconds or so! Thanks for help.

lurkingdad Fri 03-Dec-10 19:31:40

If this is like the one I saw on my neighbours PC you may need to boot in safe mode (i think you hold down F8 as it boots)to disable it. Download Malwarebytes and AVG anitivirus, run malwarebytes first to clean it up then install AVG, run malwarebytes periodically to keep things clean.

This is not a virus this is blackmail, once you pay them $79 then you might get rid of this problem, better to use reputable software to clear it.

Also be a bit careful on the options with AVG install, it now tries to force yahoo toolbar and yahoo as your home page every time you start IE. I have binned it and gone for one that is provided by my ISP for free but it's better than having this malware.

Naoko Fri 03-Dec-10 19:47:51

Never click anything like that. They are always one of two things: either when you click on them they will install a virus or malware on your pc, or it is a con to get your money.

Ignore them, do as advised above to clean your pc. AVG and malwarebytes are both excellent (free) pieces of software and fairly self explanatory. Avast! antivirus is also good and doesn't have the attempt to install a yahoo toolbar during installation, unlike AVG. Up to you which one you want to use.

happysunshinedays Sat 04-Dec-10 09:52:52

I was able to access the links above but once downloaded could not find them on my computer. The problem is getting worse and worse. Keeps switching off and extremely slow. Think I might go to WHSmith today and but an anti virus package?

bubbles4 Sat 04-Dec-10 09:55:04

It might be worth using these virus removal tips here

happysunshinedays Sat 04-Dec-10 09:56:00

That was supposed to say buy anti virus package.

WestVirginia Sat 04-Dec-10 19:03:43

It is a scam to try to sell you the $79 package.

elmoschristmaswish Sat 04-Dec-10 19:15:36

Are you using Internet explorer by any chance ? Google chrome is better , as lurkingdad has advised download the free version of Malwarebytes & run a full scan on your PC to clean it .

happysunshinedays Sun 05-Dec-10 08:31:39

None of the above working I'm afraid. Computer not letting me download any of the above. Bought a £30 package from computer shop which I'm not able to download either. Been advised that the virus is not allowing this to happen. Think I'm going to have to take it to shop and get them to look at it.

happysunshinedays Sun 05-Dec-10 08:32:11

Thanks for all the input!

lurkingdad Mon 06-Dec-10 22:06:34

Your problem is probably because the malware is blocking your access to things. I saw the same thing with my neighbour.

Ideally download the software on another machine and transfer it to a USB stick.
Start your PC in safe mode If you haven't managed to get the software on a stick then use safe mode with networking if you can. then download the items.

Run them fully in safe mode, this should not have the program running and reduced functionality, but enough to run the fixes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now