Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Single, pregnant and unemployed

(12 Posts)
Sparkle2010 Thu 02-Dec-10 16:18:27

I'm single, the father cannot pay anything (don't want to say why), due in March and I'm unemployed. I lost my job at 7 weeks pregnant (the shop I worked in had to close, they didnt even know I was pregnant) and have struggled to find work since. I live with my mum and don't seem to be entitled to anything apart from jobseekers. I wouldnt even know where to look or who to ask. Can anybody advise me on what else I may be entitled to? My jobseekers goes straight to my mum so I'm left with nothing. Mum has the money as without it she couldnt afford for me to live with her

Chil1234 Thu 02-Dec-10 17:11:08

Sorry to hear about your situation. Try www.entitledto.com as a good first step. Put in your current circumstances and then do a 'what if' to see how things would change when your baby arrives. As regards the father, make every effort to ensure that he shares responsibility for your baby. He may not be able to support you now but finances can easily change in the future. Good luck

Sparkle2010 Thu 02-Dec-10 17:20:10

Thanks for that site. I'd not heard of that before. The dad won't be around. I might as well say, he's in prison.

enabledebra Thu 02-Dec-10 18:39:19

Yes entitledto is a very good site.

You could check this one out too.

www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsT axCreditsAndOtherSupport/Expectingorbringingupchil dren/DG_10018869

PDR Fri 03-Dec-10 11:37:29

Sparkle you may be entitled to Maternity Allowance if you were working up until the shop closed?

I would see if there is a Citizen's Advice Bureau near you and make an appointment to speak to someone.

It's around £125/week for 39 weeks and would replace your JSA so not on top of. You would also be entitled to £20 child benefit and I would have thought the maximum Child Tax Credits.

ALSO you should be entitled to the Sure Start Maternity Grant which is a one off payment of £500 to buy everything you need for the baby. You can apply for this from 11 weeks before the baby is born I think. You need to get the forms signed by your midwife before you send them.

If you are careful you should be able to get everything you need from this - buy second hand - go to "nearly new" sales and accept all offers to borrow equipment.

Once the baby is born make sure you get support with breastfeeding as formula will cost you a fortune!

Good luck x

victoriah3 Fri 03-Dec-10 12:19:37

Can you still get the Healthy eating in pregnancy grant or has this been scrapped - approx £170???

PDR Fri 03-Dec-10 13:35:03

Do you mean Health in Pregnancy Grant - £190? If so then yes this is being scrapped from 01 January so not sure if OP will get this as you have to be 25 weeks pregnant by 1st Jan.

Sparkle2010 Fri 03-Dec-10 15:21:34

Thanks! I am 23 weeks now, so should get the £190 which is great! I will also aply for the Surestart Grant.

PDR Fri 03-Dec-10 16:45:39

Sparkle ask your midwife asap for the forms for the HIP grant then! You can only get them from her.

Sure Start forms can be printed off via the Direct Gov website.

darleneconnor Mon 06-Dec-10 15:37:39

How is your housing situation going to be resolved? It's not much good getting the benefits you're entitled to if you Mum is going to take these off you.

pollywollyhadadollycalledmolly Tue 07-Dec-10 15:57:42

You shoudl also be able to get the healthy start vouchers, previously known as milk tokens. But you can get them if u are pregnant and on benefits, i.e ja, IS etc.

They are only £3 a week while pregnant, and £6 a week once your baby is born, but it's always helpful to have. You can spend them on fruit and veg and tinned milk. Most supermarkets take them and boots take them for milk

x x x

alocin85 Mon 13-Dec-10 11:14:20

OP why is your mum taken these benefits off you? You need money for the baby ie to prepare for the arrival such as cots and pushchairs, clothes nappies etc

Also isn't the Sure Start grant being scrapped in April 2011????

Also check out this hunnie

Money for Mums http://www.moneyformums.co.uk

x

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: