Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

If I book a christmas delivery slot, do they take the money now?

(13 Posts)
1234ThumbScrew Thu 02-Dec-10 15:40:26

I'm on a tight budget at the moment. Everything is paid for or budgeted for, except the christmas food shop which I plan to pay for on the 23rd when DH gets paid. If I can get a delivery slot for any of the supermarkets on the 23rd do they take the money before then? If not, is the money in transit, or whatever it's called? I really don't want to have to go in person to do my shop this year and will have the money, but just don't want it taken out until pay day.

sleighBELLasringing Thu 02-Dec-10 15:42:51

They do not take it until the shopping has been picked off the shelves and scanned.

PfftTheMagicDragon Thu 02-Dec-10 15:43:33

They won't take it now, but I'm not sure if they take the money on the day of the shop or maybe just before. You should call and check

SuePurblybiltByElves Thu 02-Dec-10 15:48:43

I use a PAYG card for all interweb stuff and tescos rang me at 7am this week as a delivery for later that day hadn't been cleared. I hadn't left enough time for the money to go on.
So they take it on the day it seems.

risingstar Thu 02-Dec-10 15:52:39

ocado deliver before it has cleared. i have an on demand thing (£10 per month), once my regular deliveries fell on the day before pay day.

when i went in the following week to order, there was an apologetic note asking if i would like to pay for last weeks shopping as well blush

1234ThumbScrew Thu 02-Dec-10 15:55:50

Great so if I can get a 23rd delivery slot, I should be ok. I used to do the ocado thing too and in a similar situation it wouldn't accept my order I knew I didn't have the money in the bank at the time of placing the order, but it was going to be there on the delivery day. That's why I'm asking really.

dreamingofsun Thu 02-Dec-10 15:56:32

1234 have you tried booking a slot? there are currently none available in this area for sainsburys, tesco or ocado.

1234ThumbScrew Thu 02-Dec-10 16:01:21

Am on it, I've got a Tesco's one for the 22nd it looks like they aren't showing 23rd yet, so am keeping my fingers crossed.

1234ThumbScrew Thu 02-Dec-10 16:05:32

Ok, as suggest I've just rung Tesco who tell me that delivery slots for the 23d will be released at 12am tonight/morning in case anyone else is after one. He also promised that they don't take the money until that day - so guess what I'll be doing at midnight.

dreamingofsun Thu 02-Dec-10 16:05:49

i have a feeling that sainsburys and tescos aren't going to release any for the 23rd as they should have been showing by now. think you did the right thing by booking one for the 22nd. seems strange if they don't deliver on 23rd as this must be most popular day of the year

1234ThumbScrew Thu 02-Dec-10 16:08:51

Oh and he said there are no 24th slots.

sleighBELLasringing Thu 02-Dec-10 16:13:14

I had to book mine for the 22nd - nothing showing at all for the 23rd. I am certain in previous years I have had deliveries though on the 23rd.

BerylStreep Thu 02-Dec-10 16:22:30

Sainsburys last day for delivery is 22nd.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now