Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Do I still have to pay water rates on an un-occupied house?

(3 Posts)
oneofthosedays Mon 29-Nov-10 20:08:37

We have a sale going thru on our old house, we have already moved and told United Utilities the new address etc and received the new payment schedule/DD amounts for the new property. However, DH was at the old house checking on it and found a letter addressed to 'the occupier' requesting payment for the period from when I told them we had moved until the end of the financial year.

Do we have to pay this even though we're not living there? Obviously the new people will be responsible for the cost from when the sale completes, but what about the period before this when the prop has been empty and no water/sewage services have been used?

PatriciaHolm Mon 29-Nov-10 22:55:50

Did you tell them the property was unoccupied and unfurnished? If not, then they won't have actually closed the account, just assumed someone else was moving in. You need to explicitly tell them the property is empty and remaining so until further notice.

oneofthosedays Wed 01-Dec-10 14:28:33

Right, I'll give them a quick ring then I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now