Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Definition of adverse credit for renting

(8 Posts)
kittycat37 Wed 24-Nov-10 19:36:38

Hi,
We have two DDs and have been crammed into a flat (which we own) and now need more space. We've found a house to rent and they're currently doing the credit checks.

DH has a default on his credit record - it's over 2yrs old and for about £450.

Otherwise his credit record is clean and he's in the 'good' category. The default is because his never opens his post (don't ask) rather than because he didn't have the £ to pay the damn bill.

I'm really nervous now - he ticked the box saying 'no adverse credit' on the application - but a default is adverse credit isn't it?

He said ' it's over 2yrs old and not for a huge amount so it's ok and if they say it's a problem we'll offer them 6months credit up front'. We could do this, but I'm worried they won't want us anyway if it looks like

a) we've had adverse credit before
b) we've tried to cover it up

I'm really worried about this because I'm desperate to move. Going mental in small flat and also we have to get our DD1's name down for schools in Jan. I could bloody kill slap DH for being so crap with his post.

Thanks for any advice you can give.

Chil1234 Thu 25-Nov-10 12:38:52

Given that the default is two years old and given that anyone doing a credit check sounds as though they will get a 'good' when they run it, you may find that there are no come-backs from him ticking the 'no adverse credit' box. If they get a 'poor' on the credit check I think it would be different.

If you wanted to be more sure of your ground you could contact whoever you sent the application to and give them a 'what if'... as in 'What if someone had a small default from two years ago? Would that affect the outcome?'... you don't have to give your details.

AdelaideJo Thu 25-Nov-10 13:20:33

My DP has adverse credit and unfortunately lettings agencies tend to use a centralised agency to run their checks. I think it was a bit daft to tick a box blatently untruthfullyconfused.

We had to get a guarantor for my DP before we were allowed to move in. Even though I was fine, and my bank account was the one the rent would come out of, ALL parties on a tenancy agreement need to be credit checked. If I was you I would go back and fill in some details. My DP's bad credit was older than 2 years.

AdelaideJo Thu 25-Nov-10 13:22:13

Also, the default can be for 30 quid or for 3000 quid, bad credit is bad credit and now well into our late thirties, we are reliant on a family member to guarantor us. Not pleasant.

kittycat37 Thu 25-Nov-10 14:12:40

Thanks for the answers. My DH didn't seem to think his default counted as adverse credit given size and fact that over 2yrs old but your replies confirm what i thought - that it is.

My instincts are always to be honest about these things - his aren't unfortunately.

Well we'll see what happens. Too late to change the application now.

AdelaideJo Fri 26-Nov-10 11:42:52

Good luck Kitty. I don't for the life of me understand why renters have to go through this (and I say that having been a private landlord myself). It seems like one is punished for everything nowadays.
My current lettings agent even spoke to me about the adverse credit as if I was a naughty schoolgirl.

onadietcokebreak Sun 28-Nov-10 13:43:37

The best advice I can give is to try and get it satisfied on your record or wait another 4 years for it to disappear.

Or go through a private landlord

BeenBeta Sun 28-Nov-10 13:47:01

I used to run credit checks for loans and everything on your credit record shows up. It is far better to be open about any credit issues you now about and explain what it is.

That way it does not look like you are hiding something.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: