Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

taxable pay. CAn it be more that total pay?

(16 Posts)
staryeyed Tue 16-Nov-10 15:46:36

For some reason, this year my pay slips are showing that my taxable pay is more than my total pay. I'm not sure how this is possible and I certainly haven't had this in the past - it has always been equal to the total pay. Can someone in the know explain if and why this can happen.

Thanks

NoahAndTheWhale Tue 16-Nov-10 15:48:12

What is your tax code?

CarGirl Tue 16-Nov-10 15:49:08

Do you have any taxable benefits such as company car, and err that's where my knowledge ends they are called benefits in kind.

staryeyed Tue 16-Nov-10 15:53:13

nope just normal pay.

tax code is 653L

PatriciaHolm Tue 16-Nov-10 15:56:40

Are you comparing taxable pay for this year with total pay for this month or something?

NoahAndTheWhale Tue 16-Nov-10 15:58:38

I was wondering if you had a tax code that started with a K which means you don't get any personal allowance but you have a normal one. Am a little puzzled.

If you want to send me a message with the actual amounts I can check if they look right to me. Or you can wait as there are various people who know more about tax than I do grin <accountant who hasn't been in practice for a couple of years>

NoahAndTheWhale Tue 16-Nov-10 16:00:15

Generally your taxable pay would be less than your total pay due to your personal allowance.

staryeyed Tue 16-Nov-10 16:07:15

On each of my monthly pay slips the taxable pay is about £1100 above my total pay (in the year to date totals). In April it was the same and in the next month it jumps up. I have worked in this company for 3 years and the pay slips have always shown the amounts to be the same. I phoned the pay role departments and they told me its automated and there is nothing they can do to fix it but it definitely doesn't seem right.

CarGirl Tue 16-Nov-10 16:13:47

is one for that month and one year to date? Can you scan it in and send a copy to Noah?

staryeyed Tue 16-Nov-10 16:21:34

both for year to date.

Have copied details and sent to you Noah -I would be very grateful for your help on this.

CarGirl Tue 16-Nov-10 16:27:49

Let me know the answer and how you manage to get it resolved, the mind just boggles. Our HR was the same when dh didn't get his annual summary one year, told me there was nothing they could do even though they are legally obliged to proved one hmm

NoahAndTheWhale Tue 16-Nov-10 16:33:37

Have had your message and replied (although hadn't seen the other responses on here when I did). Looks like you are paying the right tax but they just have the wrong figures confused.

NoahAndTheWhale Tue 16-Nov-10 16:34:02

Am sorry I can't be more help - and would still suggest hanging out for some more tax expert MNer to appear grin

NoahAndTheWhale Tue 16-Nov-10 16:35:14

I used this website to check the figures by the way.

CarGirl Tue 16-Nov-10 16:38:43

Sounds like your company has c*cked up then or the payroll company that they employ.

I would tell them in writing that you believe it's wrong and that they need to sort it.

Do you receive tax credits? Or tell them that they owe you £x as your payslip says that you have received £6,000 year to date but they've only paid you as if you've earned £4,000 ytd IYSWIM

staryeyed Tue 16-Nov-10 16:58:04

monthly figures are fine in terms of how much is my actual pay and what is deducted as tax -as Noah says (thank you so much by the way) Its just the payslips dont make sense.

The pay roll department is useless they screwed up my maternity pay and Im not sure they have even sorted that out properly yet. I will go to the local tax office. Will they be able to help me with my tax credits query as well?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: