Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Can DH cash his pension in?

(4 Posts)
mummytopebs Sat 13-Nov-10 20:42:36

Dh works for a company that has been took over 4 times in a year, and once again it is for sale and its not looking good. Dh has paid £90 a month for 10 years into a pension scheme with arriva, who owned the company up to January. When they sold it in January his pension stopped and we are not sure where it is being held. I f we find out where it is can he have the £90 a month he has paid in per month for 10 years in a lump sum now? We are not asking for the company to contribute, we just want the money back he hasw paid in incase he gets made redundant.

Chil1234 Sat 13-Nov-10 20:55:01

Usually the terms and conditions of pension schemems are written so that they only pay out the cash at the stipulated retirement age.

Once you find out where the pension is now check how it is set up and what type of pension it is. If it is a portable stakeholder-type pension then, even if he leaves the company, he should be able to take it with him and keep contributing once he gets a new job. If it is a company pension scheme tied to the company itself then he should be able to transfer the value of the pot into a new scheme with a new employer or into a private scheme.

firsttimemama Sat 13-Nov-10 22:25:07

No he can't have the money as a lump sum and he can only take it as a pension if he is 55 or older- sorry.

lilyliz Wed 17-Nov-10 18:36:47

phone DWP at Newcastle they can tell you where the pension now is.Agree with above I have a very small private pension which I really need at the moment and cant get it,by the time I can it will probably buy a loaf and a pint of milk

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: