Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Want to come off Job Seekers Allowance

(6 Posts)
CuddlyNemesis Thu 11-Nov-10 08:21:48

Brief background: was made redundant before I became pregnant with 19-month-old DD, temped during the pregnancy and was working very part-time (around 10 hours per week) on a self-employed basis from home until recently, when the work dried up.

It's unlikely I'll find a similar part-time job anytime soon and don't really want to go back to full-time work, so I'm not really fulfilling the criteria for claiming JSA. I've only signed on twice and the last time was there with DD (had no one to look after her when I went) when someone attacked a security guard and broke his jaw. sad

Partner is self-employed and nets around £30k. Apart from child benefit and around £40 in child tax credits (which go on direct debits) is there anything else I could get if I stopped signing on. I'm studying to set up my own business, so this would only be short-term claim.

CuddlyNemesis Thu 11-Nov-10 09:18:56

Sorry, that should have read DP is self-employed and grosses around £30k! blush

tefal Thu 11-Nov-10 10:00:29

I feel for you. I hate signing on and find it very intimidating. I am however looking for work so need to keep going.

Don't know the answer to your question but good luck with what ever you decide.

Chil1234 Thu 11-Nov-10 13:50:59

If you're studying, there are some grants and bursaries available but I think your partner's income would mean you didn't qualify.

CuddlyNemesis Thu 11-Nov-10 16:06:28

Thanks for the replies. To be honest, I think my days of signing on will be numbered as my contributions-based JSA runs out in a few months. Not sure what I'll do then! confused

ANTagony Thu 11-Nov-10 16:13:46

There was an announcement about enterprise allowance subsidising small business/ self employed startups something about 6 months benefit equivalent to allow you to get on your feet. They are proposing 10,000 new start ups by end of next year so must be planning implementation by the New Year - or maybe not.

see here for limited enterprise allowance info

and here

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: