Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

How to calculate childcare costs for claiming tax credits

(5 Posts)
verybusyspider Mon 08-Nov-10 08:15:26

I've been claiming these for 4 years and I've had a sudden realisation I might be doing it all wrong.

Do you take off the amount you pay from childcare vouchers before declaring you total childcare costs? I can't find anything that says you do but I want to be sure as it obviously makes a huge difference

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 08-Nov-10 09:07:15

If you are claiming childcare vouchers via salary sacrifice, you cant claim tax credits on the same amount. However if the vouchers dont cover the full cost, ie £250 costs, £200 vouchers then you can submit £50 as your childcare cost.

It is on the form somewhere re not claiming for both on the same amount.

verybusyspider Mon 08-Nov-10 11:15:35

Do you have a reference for where it says that? I'm sitting with all the advice booklets and tax declarations in front of me and can't find anywhere that explicitly says that confused

HappyMummyOfOne Mon 08-Nov-10 11:22:44

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/Ta xCreditsandChildBenefit/TaxCredits/Gettingstarted/ whoqualifies/Childrenandtaxcredits/DG_073803

verybusyspider Mon 08-Nov-10 11:47:24

Thank you, much clearer and we're in a whole load of sh*t sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now