Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Bad credit and trying to get a mortgage

(3 Posts)
bettybets Sun 07-Nov-10 19:49:29

Hi, I have checked my credit file and i have two defaults against my name from two 1/2 years ago which are now settled, i previously had really good clean acounts, my credit score now is under 500. I would like to try and buy a house late next year with a 10% deposit, however i can't get a credit card or loan to improve my rating at the moment. Just started a pre pay credit card to try and improve my score.

Any advice or anyone been in this situation and got a mortgage a year or so on? Or do i have to wait another four years to even think about getting a mortgage.

Such a shame because both defaults are settled now.

carocaro Mon 08-Nov-10 12:17:04

You should be OK, but go to a high street lender eg: Nat West, Santandar not one of the TV advertised ones! You may be charged a slightly higher rate than most because of your ceedit history or not get the best deal on offer, but you would still get a decenty-ish mortgae.

RockChick1984 Mon 22-Nov-10 19:10:38

It's difficult to say what will happen with a mortgage, often they can be easier to get than other forms of credit because ultimately if u default then the lender can take your home, hense the expression secured loan. Do u have a good reason for the defaults? I used to work at a bank, and a lot of it can depend on this, although a mortgage may decline based on your credit score, the mortgage adviser I worked with would always refer it directly to the underwriter if there was a valid reason for something and often the decision could be overturned. I agree with carocaro, go to a bank NOT one of these dodgy companies advertising everywhere, the interest you will repay is ridiculous, and if u ever did get into difficulties they will be a lot less willing to help you out. Is there any way u can get more of a deposit? The more you can put down upfront the more chance you will find of being approved as it lessens the banks risk! Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now