Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

Getting deposit back from friend/land lord

(5 Posts)
HannahHack Thu 04-Nov-10 11:39:32

Last year I lived in a flat owned by a friend. We did everything properly and did contracts to involve any potential dispute and there were no problems.

However, he still hasn't given me my deposit back. It also appears to be the case that he didn't put it into a deposit scheme though in my contract it said he would. I have asked for it repeatedly, and occassionally he has promised to give it back but has generally ignored my requests.

I don't know what to do and really need the money. He is the partner of my oldest friend, who I don't want to get involved as it is not her job as it is his house, and I don't want to ruin the relationship. However, finances are really really difficult and a constant source of worry at the moment.

wWhat can I do?!

HannahHack Thu 04-Nov-10 11:40:26

*Sorry, by relationship I meant mine with them not their's!

Chil1234 Thu 04-Nov-10 12:22:26

Money and friendship are a really rotten combination, no matter how well you set it all up in advance. Verbal assurances aren't working so you should move up to written demands for the money.... and use the 'PNS' system i.e. Polite Letter, Nasty Letter, Solicitor's Letter. If you can't afford to sue then try CAB. Keep copies of all letters, make notes of conversations had and dates. Don't be afraid about talking to your friend either. You need to be exerting as much pressure from as many different angles as possible to get it resolved. If anyone's ruining the relationship it's him, not you.

LucindaCarlisle Thu 04-Nov-10 18:48:31

Who is the body that oversees the tenants deposits legislation?

Give him ONE FINAL warning. If you still do not get your money, then report him to the government agency. Have you still got a copy of the contract?

Gotabookaboutit Sun 14-Nov-10 19:04:51

There is no agency, just 3 approved schemes. Technically you can sue him for 3x the deposit amount as it was not put into one of these schemes - however courts are lax at doing this. Much better to send him a polite but factual letter of notice before action, stating the facts and that unless he refunds the deposit within 10 days you will take him to small claims. You can then sue him online for about £25.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: