Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

"Generous" tax credit payments - help please

(30 Posts)
reddaisy Wed 27-Oct-10 14:08:24

Our tax credit award have just been calculated and I have been told we will be receiving more than £700 a month.

But it seems very generous. DP and I live together, we both work (I work four days a week) and childcare costs are £120 a week on average for our one DD. Our combined income is around £47,000. But I was on maternity leave and DP was out of work in the 2009/2010 period when the payments seem to be for.

They assure me the award is correct but it seems rather generous and I'm worried that we will suddenly have to pay back money.

Any advice would be very gratefully received.

Chil1234 Wed 27-Oct-10 15:06:56

Tax credit awards for 2010/11 are based on your earnings in 2009/10. Child tax credits for households earning more than £40,000 will stop all together in Jan 2011 so your April 2011 recalculation will mean you qualify for very little, if anything at all

I'd suggest taking the money on face value but spend moderately & bump up your savings. When you get your 2011 award, if there is anything to be paid back, you'll have it to hand. If you don't owe them anything you'll have a nice nest-egg for a rainy day.

reddaisy Wed 27-Oct-10 15:09:31

Thanks Chil. I didn't realise tax credits were going for joint income of £40k. I thought that was for main earner?

Do you know if there is anything I can do to check the amount is right?

greaseistheword Wed 27-Oct-10 15:12:08

i would contact them to double check.we had "generous" awards for 2 years and thought it must be right they cant get it wrong twice but it now turns out they were wrong and we have to pay back around £7000.

HappyMummyOfOne Wed 27-Oct-10 15:12:51

What was your income in the previous tax year?

louii Wed 27-Oct-10 15:13:14

Based on previous year so probably correct.
I have been on Maternity leave this year so should get more tax credits from next April. grin

Chil1234 Wed 27-Oct-10 15:16:15

There are tax credit calculators online... Tax Credit Calculator

Chil1234 Wed 27-Oct-10 15:18:55

Child Benefit is going in 2013 for households where one or more wage-earner is a higher rate tax-payer (£44k+) But Child Tax Credit changes from Jan 1 2011 were announced in the last budget and these affect households with an income over £40,000.

EvilAllenPoe Wed 27-Oct-10 15:20:47

if you have phoned them and made sure they are aware of your current forecast income for this year, then get the name of the person you speak to, and ask then straight out if you would be asked to repay any based on that forecast income.

it seems very large, and you would probably be expected to pay most of it back at the end of this year if it is wrong.

MaMoTTaT Wed 27-Oct-10 15:24:18

that HRMC calculator is pretty dodgy, I would have hoped they'd improved it but apparently not

entitledto tends to give more accurate results ime

bumpybecky Wed 27-Oct-10 15:27:57

agree with MaMo - the HMRC one gives about half the value of CTC for us, their letters and the entitledto one both have the same much higher amount

DaisySteiner Wed 27-Oct-10 18:25:53

It's based on last year unless your income in the current year has increased than more than 25,000 GBP. If it has, they will work it out on your income for the current year minus 25,000.

reddaisy Wed 27-Oct-10 20:33:22

Greaseistheword - shock Did they suddenly decide you owe them £10k? That is what I don't want to happen.

Good advice about getting name from call centre etc, all the details on the form were correct as I took AGES over them to make sure they were right.

It is ridiculous that when I was on ML and DP was out of work for several months we got hardly anything and now we are both back working we get far more.

I think our combined income for that period was 24k.

The system is so complicated that it makes me so nervous.

Their calculator comes up with roughly £500 so I will try entitledto.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 27-Oct-10 20:38:39

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

reddaisy Wed 27-Oct-10 20:49:26

That's what DH wants to do with it and I think it is what we will do. I just feel very uncomfortable about it.

I reckon if I have supplied the right information, queried the amount and still get the money then we should get to keep it grin Can't see that we can do anything else

EricNorthmansMistress Wed 27-Oct-10 20:56:44

It's correct! I had this worry this butlast year our income was low due to mat leave and it's definitely right.

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 27-Oct-10 20:58:35

reddaisy Wed 27-Oct-10 21:07:02

Things are tight at the moment but we are getting by but last year was AWFUL and I was in tears about money when DP was looking for work and I was on ML.

It is all back to front. hmm

StewieGriffinsMom Wed 27-Oct-10 21:16:00

reddaisy Wed 27-Oct-10 21:38:07

That's the problem. A lot of the changes are verbal so you can't prove what you have said etc to someone in a call centre.

And they all say different things when I have rung in the past.

DDs nursery fees are going up £20 a month next month, but if I tell them they will probably give me another £1k to cover it! wink

chocolatespiders Wed 27-Oct-10 21:46:19

I earn 14,000 a year as a single parent and get £400 a month with no childcare costs.

so i think it is wrong but i could be wrong

EricNorthmansMistress Wed 27-Oct-10 21:48:16

chocolate - childcare will account for much of it, and they are basing it on their income for last year, not on 47k.

reddaisy Wed 27-Oct-10 21:52:01

Childcare does make up the bulk of it chocolate.

TheGhostlyPirate Wed 27-Oct-10 21:54:18

I earn around 14,000 a year and get around £220 a month but also an extra bit on top as DS gets DLA plus working tax credit of £50 a month. I think nearly £700 a month sounds a huge amount BUT you are obviously getting some childcare help with that so could well be right.

HappyMummyOfOne Thu 28-Oct-10 00:44:24

In April, the disregard of previous income changes to £10k (5k the year after). As you will have earnt £23k more than the tax credits your award is based on you could be left with a huge overpayment.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now