Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. Free legal advice is available from a Citizen's Advice Bureau, and the Law Society can supply a list of local solicitors.

SAHM's - do you pay any NI? or am i worrying over nothing

(18 Posts)
nailpolish Sat 20-Aug-05 10:43:24

im worried about paying my NI if i dont work.

can anyone give me any advice, TIA

Janh Sat 20-Aug-05 10:48:05

While you are at home and receive child benefit you are credited with NI contributions - I'll have a look for an info page in a min.

There is a limit to how many years you can do it but it's a lot - so do not panic my dear!

serenity Sat 20-Aug-05 10:49:35

I work p/time and still don't pay any NI as I don't earn enough. It's not a problem as long as your Child Benefit is in your name. Whoever recieves it gets NI contributions paid for them by the government, as they assume you're at home with the kids. There is a passage about it in the handbook you get, I'm sure there must be something online too.

Janh Sat 20-Aug-05 10:53:49

It's called HRP - Home Responsibilities Protection - I think some carers get it too.

I have had my max no of years (child benefit for 22 years and counting!) and they send me letters occasionally telling me how much to pay to make up the rest - you can pay retrospectively for 5 or 6 years, and if it's a year where you worked a bit and paid some contributions you can make it up to a full year by paying the difference.

Can't find a simple explanation yet.

nailpolish Sat 20-Aug-05 10:54:28

oh what a relief! dont know how i didnt know about the CB bit. its in my name thank goodness

i do work pt, like you, but not enough.

may i ask how much you earn? or if you know the upper limit for paying tax/NI, could you tell me please and thankyou x

Janh Sat 20-Aug-05 10:56:43

Look at p12 here (it's a PDF). There are phone numbers for more information.

nailpolish Sat 20-Aug-05 10:57:12

jan, thats brilliant thanks

Janh Sat 20-Aug-05 11:00:02

£94 pw is the threshold for NI - details here - tax is similar I think.

I just started a new p/t job and on £125 I pay a tiny bit of both (can't find payslip atm)

serenity Sat 20-Aug-05 11:02:07

I'm not entirely sure tbh, although I really should shouldn't I

I don't pay tax as I earn just under my limit which is roughly £4500pa. I do sometimes pay a little bit of NI because of the weird way I get paid. I get paid the last friday of each calendar month so sometimes I have 5 week months and if I've done a couple of extra hours I'll lose a bit to NI, but I think in the whole of the last tax year I paid the grand total of £6.61!

nailpolish Sat 20-Aug-05 11:02:19

hmmm, didnt think it was that high. i only get £50-£60 pw

serenity Sat 20-Aug-05 11:04:42

That makes sense, I earn £93 a week which explains why it doesn't take much to push me over.

Janh Sat 20-Aug-05 11:17:51

OK, found payslips -

£121.25 tax £2.70 NI £3.00
£150.35 tax £7.49 NI £6.20

so on an extra £29 there's an extra £8 in deductions - seems a lot! I will generally only be earning £75 though so won't pay any unless I do overtime.

nailpolish Sat 20-Aug-05 12:20:43

i stll dont understand.

say, if i dont work for a few more years (or at least only earn £60 for a few years) will i be paying enough NI to get a proper pension?

and how the hell am i supposed to pay into a private pension? everyone is tellng me i should have one of these too

Janh Sat 20-Aug-05 12:32:15

It doesn't matter if you earn under the threshold because your NI/pension/whatever will be credited with whatever minimum amount is required.

God knows about personal pensions - I haven't got one either! (DH has but hardly puts anything in it - he is still contracted out of SERPS, I keep telling him to get back in (he is nearly 53) but he never gets around to it. Will have to stand over him.)

Ring the 0845 number on that pdf link I gave you, np. Last time I had a letter about this I rang them and got a lovely bloke who explained it all in words of one syllable and a gorgeous Geordie accent

nailpolish Sat 20-Aug-05 12:33:34

ooh love geordie accents.

ill do it jan, thanks again

suedonim Sat 20-Aug-05 15:46:32

Thanks for that link, Jan - v useful! I've been getting CB since 1976 - by the time dd2 leaves school I'll have ben in receipt of it for 40 years!

Janh Sat 20-Aug-05 20:07:14

suedonim, that is a really shocking statistic!!!

What do you do about NI contributions? Do you get those letters about making them up too, or do you have a personal pension (or both)?

nailpolish Mon 22-Aug-05 08:45:42

40 years?! thats amazing!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now